Thursday, January 16, 2014

Sometimes Things Don't Work Out.

Tell us about a time things came this close to working out… but didn’t. What happened next? Would you like the chance to try again, or are you happy with how things eventually worked out?

I was drinking beers with two friends after a long day at work when my mom called me to tell me there was a job opening at my former high school for an alumnae director. My heart began to race- this was the job I had always wanted. At the time, I was just wrapping up my year as a full time volunteer at a high school in Detroit. The job hunt was constantly on my mind. The alumni director position was exactly what I had been hoping for. 

I rushed home from the bar and sat down to fix up my resume and type my cover letter. I hit send, and prayed every second of every day.

I got the phone call to come in for an interview just a few days later, as I was finishing brushing up my teeth. Of course I had my phone with me in the bathroom. I did not let it out of my sight, I did not want to miss the chance of a call. I scheduled my interview and then spent every waking moment preparing for said interview. My brother in law quizzed me on possible questions, my sister told me what to wear, my parents reminded me to be confident. The interview went flawlessly. I felt extremely confident about my answers, and the responses I got from the Director, who also happened to be a friend of mine's dad. 

Although the interview went well, I tried hard not to get my hopes up. Until I got a call for a second interview. By that point, I was ecstatic. I was confident. I thought I was about to land my dream job.

The second interview went just as well as the first. This time it was a group interview. I presented my ideas for the alumni program to the group, and they loved them. I felt super confident. I practically ran out of there. Everything was falling into place. I was going to get this job, my brother was going to be married in a few days, and I would start settling into my own adult life.

The day before we left for my brother's wedding, my phone rang. It was my high school. I was ready to accept the position. 

But instead, my heart sank, because they told me I was not selected for the position. Their reasoning was that I was better off working "one on one with youth", not the alumni program. 

I hung up the phone as quickly as possible and sank to my knees. I began to sob and shake. I was sure that the job was mine, and just like that, my dreams were crushed. I had to go upstairs and tell my parents, and all I could do was cry. 

I had a really difficult time with this rejection. I felt like I wasn't good enough, and then began to worry that I was never going to get another job and that no one would hire me. If I couldn't get a job that I was so perfect for (in my eyes), how would I get a job anywhere else?

I did eventually get a full time job, with hospice. So no, I did not end up working one on one with youth, although that is what I am most passionate about. 

Perhaps the timing wasn't right. Or, maybe I just wasn't meant to get that job. But I will tell you that if that job ever opens up again, I would apply. I still believe, in my heart, that I am meant to be back at Mercy. I don't know how and I don't know when, but I am going to find out.

Things don't always work out the way we want them to. Life will be disappointing, sometimes. But just because you are told "no" does not mean it's the end of the road. Other opportunities will open up, doors will open for you. You just can't give up.

No comments: