Friday, May 30, 2014

5 years

Today is my 5 year Blogversary! I can hardly believe it. For 5 years I have been sharing stories of my life, and you all have kept reading! 

Five years ago, I was 21 years old. I was a fresh college graduate. I started a blog because I was waiting on an answer regarding my acceptance into Mercy Volunteer Corps. In betwee nannying and waiting for that answer, I was bored. MySpace was starting to die out, and blogging was becoming more popular. So I decided to give it a shot.

The first year of my blog was focused on my experience with Mercy Volunteer Corps. I wrote about community living and my faith, but mostly wrote about my students at Cristo Rey. Once that year ended, I didn't know what else to write about. I considered deleting my blog.

Apparently I found things to write about, because here we are. I have written music, book, and movie reviews. I have told you about people I admire. I've shared stories of my childhood. I've been open about my struggles with anxiety. I have attempted to inspire with words of wisdom. Most recently, I have told you all the details of my weight loss journey. You guys know me, you know my passions and you know what holds importance in my heart.  Even though I don't always know who is reading these, I take comfort in knowing that there are people out there who do.

Believe it or not, there are things that have happened in the last five years that I HAVEN'T blogged about. As open as I've been, there are things I just have been able to share. There were times that I have been hurting very deeply. In those times, I turned to this blog. I started to write, and I began to heal. You, my readers, have helped me in those darkest moments. And you didn't even know it. So thank you.

I'm not a famous blogger. I don't have hundreds of comments on each blog. My blogs aren't shared by thousands of people. All I do is write what I know, and hope that someone is touched by it or can relate to it. The biggest compliment I recieve is someone simply telling me they read my blog. I remember once in youth group a girl told me that my cousin, a teacher at her high school, will always read my blogs outloud when they have to do with self esteem or another similar issue. That meant the world to me, because I didn't even know my cousin read my blog.

I want to thank you all for letting me share things with you, and for reading. Whether you have read one entry or every entry, your support means a lot to me. These five years have been a fun ride, and I don't plan on stopping any time soon. I get stumped on writing topics sometimes, and I know in repeat topics occasionally, but writing is my medicine. Connecting with you all is my favorite thing to do. So I keep going.

In the comments, I would love if you would tell me what your favorite topic/theme of my blogs is. This will help me when thinking about what to write about next!


No comments: