Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Running

Lately I've been having this vision. Now before you worry that I've done all hippie on you, it's nothing crazy. The craziest part is that it is nonstop.

Whenever my mind comes to a still- whether it's a quiet moment at the office, just before bed time, in between macjhines at the gym, etc, I envision myself running. My mind goes to a crystal clear picture of me, running quite fast.

This may not be so strange if I was a runner. But I'm not. I am far from a runner. Even though I've lost almost 60lbs, I'm still pretty slow and despise running. At softball I have to push myself off the base with as much force as possible to get a start. I don't run, ever. My gym workouts never consist of sprints. I barely get to a jog, honestly.

So why do I keep seeing myself running? Maybe it's the possibility of running, and the fact that it's becoming more and more doable. But, like I said, I hate running, so I don't know why my mind would suddenly be super excited about it.

Perhaps it represents the things I am running from- fear, sadness- and the things I am chasing-health, happiness. 

Maybe it has something to do with the homily the priest gave on Easter Sunday. He talked about running to Jesus, about being so excited about new life and new beginnings and forgiveness that we break into a run and take life's challenges on full speed.

Or maybe I'm reading far too into this and the vision is simply similar to having a song stuck in your head. But each time that vision appears, I feel as though I am being challenged, like someone is pushing me, wanting me to keep going. I like that feeling.

No comments: