Saturday, November 30, 2013

Christmas Spirit

Last year I wrote a post about how I was having a terrible time getting in the Christmas spirit.

This year, I'm like an elf on crack. I can't stop talking about Christmas or looking at Christmas stuff. I bought all my gifts and have started on the homemade ones. I already want to wrap my presents and put them under the tree. I can't wait to hand them out. My office has adopted a family and I've created flyers about it to post in the office. I'm planning on writing out my Christmas cards this evening while Sam and I watch a Christmas movie. And ladies and gents, as we speak, I am watching a holiday cooking show and TAKING NOTES. I don't even watch the cooking channel! Like ever! Next thing you know I'll be rolling around in Christmas lights singing Mariah Carey. 

I can't be tamed, and I don't know what has gotten into me. I usually refer to myself as Scrooge. Not this year, Charles Dickens! I'm a regular Tiny Tim! 

I have been sitting here trying to figure out exactly what the difference is. I think it's pretty simple: I'm happy. And no, it not all because of Tom/being in a relationship. I'm sure that has a lot to do with it, but I was dating someone during the holidays last year as well. Tom is 100000 times better, but I still don't think he gets all the credit ;) (no offense, dear).

This year - heck- these last few months have taught me how truly special our relationships with others are and that we should cherish them. With that in mind, I want to truly bring out the holiday spirit in everyone around me, and try to make people smile. I really can't afford many gifts, and am only buying for a few people, but I am going to spread as much holiday cheer as possible, and make a conscious effort to make the people around me feel loved. 

The priest at Mass today talked about preparing for Jesus, focusing on advent and letting ourselves fully emerge in the true spirit of the holiday. I found myself smiling. I want that. The presents and cards I mentioned above are exciting, but even more exciting is celebrating Jesus! I am taking the priests suggestion and reading the daily readings from now until Christmas. Perhaps I'll learn some things along the way.

Happy Christmas/Advent Spirit, every one! 




5 comments:

Unknown said... Add Reply

Mele Kalikimaka Megan very nice blog, It did make me smile!

Kate @ Another Clean Slate said... Add Reply

So happy you're happy, Tiny Tim! Love this post and that you caught the Christmas spirit. :)

Rob-bear said... Add Reply

Somehow I think, "Bah! Humbug!" is not the appropriate response to your considered thoughts. I hope you have an Advent and Christmas full of wonder and delight.

Blessings and Bear hugs!

Shari said... Add Reply

Awww, I love this. Wishing you a beautiful Christmas season! :)

Elizabeth Rosalyn said... Add Reply

Happy December, Megan! :)