Wednesday, November 18, 2009

I'm in the war of my life at the core of my life

It's only Wednesday and I'm already really excited for this weekend. I don't know what has been going on but the kids have been really wild this week. I've never seen the detention list so long. For some reason they just feel like causing trouble, I guess.

I am thankful to have support from some of my co-workers and even some students who recognize when I am tired and try to help me out. In fact, yesterday my last study hall of the day, who are usually pretty well behaved but have problems sitting still, were being very loud. There were visitors in the school getting a tour and I heard one of my students say "you guys BE QUIET. Miss Carolin needs us to pull through right now".

I think the problem is that my community has yet to have a retreat. I really think we need a weekend away from our house where we can come together and get away from our stresses. I don't know if people at school realize that outside of work we have made a committment of being a community, not just roomates. We are to share meals together, have spirituality night, etc. We need a vacation where we can just relax. I was thinking about asking the Sister's if I could spend a weekend at their place, just kind of in silence and to be able to catch my breath. I don't know if that would take away from community, though, and that's the last thing I want to do.

On a completly different note, some new albums were released yesterday.

John Mayer- Battle Studies. Say what you want about John Mayer but he is one of my favorite artists ever and a fantastic writer. I started listening to John Mayer way back before he became super famous. I remember one time on our drive up north my three friends and I listened to the album on repeat...for the entire four hours. Anywyas, I was ecstatic for him to release a new album. My thoughts? It's wonderful. It's not quite as emotional and genius as Continuum, but I don't know that any album he will ever make can touch Continuum. As usual, I'm not a big fan of the single "Who Says". It's a known fact with me that I rarely like a John Mayer single. They are usually my least favorite songs on the albums. My favorite songs would be "The War of Life", "All We Ever Do Is Say Goodbye", "Edge of Desire", and "Half of my Heart". Check out a few songs and let me know what you think.

Kris Allen- Kris Allen. I was nervous for Kris' album. Although his music is the kind of music I listen to, I was worried that they were going to try to make him too pop sounding. I think the problem with Kris is that there is not much unique-ness to his voice or songs. He sounds so very similiar to everything else on the radio right now. I do really like his album, much better than I thought I would. I could do without "Alright With Me", and the recorded version of "Heartless" takes away from the talent he potrayed when he first performed the stripped version. As of now, my favorite favorite song is "Need To Know". It is beautifully written and performed. I also love "The Truth". I think I like "Red Guitar", but I'm still trying to figure out what it means. Oh, I also like "Can't Stay Away", but it is a carbon copy of a Gavin song. Overall, way to go Kris!

OneRepublic- Waking Up. I have issues with OneRepublic. Their lead singer is a toolbox and not the best live singer. However, I can't deny that they make great music. I haven't listened to the entire album but so far I like what I hear, especially "Fear" and "Lullaby".

Next week, we have Susan Boyle, Adam Lambert, Lady GaGa, Rihanna. Get pumped, they should all be excellent.

Have a wonderful day everyone.

No comments: