Monday, August 26, 2013

Weekend Recap

It was yet another busy, busy weekend for us girls. Seems to be a common theme with us- always on the go!

Friday night we did just kind of hang out, our usual crew, listening to music and chatting about life while sipping on beverages. It was a late night, but a fun and low key night.

Saturday morning I woke up at 6:30 AM to get ready for the Alzheimer's Walk in Downtown Detroit. I only got about 3 hours of sleep, so I had to peel my eyes open to be ready to hang out with coworkers and walk a mile. I drove down with my coworker and friend Lynn, and we met up with a couple other coworkers. The walk was cool, and I think I can speak for all of us when I say we felt good doing it. So many of our patients have Alzheimer's, and it was special for us to be an advocate for them through walking. The walk ended at Ford Field, and we were able to actually walk around on the field. A surreal feeling, when you're on the field you see how big it really is. I kept imagining how Taylor Swift must have felt at a sold out show there. Overwhelmed, I'm sure. My coworkers and I shared a lot of stories and laughs.

When I got home, Sam, Lauren and I went to our favorite breakfast place. Then I took a really deep nap (I woke up not knowing what day it was!), forced myself to work out, and came back to get ready. The three of us headed an hour up 75 to meet Lauren's friends for a bachelorette party. In a weird small world kind of way, one of our old college buddies/roommates, who we know as "Fitz" is also friends with the bride to be, so we reunited with her for the evening. It was a little awkward at first, considering Sam and I don't know the bachelorette, but we soon fit right in. The plan was to ride a party bus and go bar hopping. Honestly, the bus was the fun part of the evening. We blasted music and danced, laughing hysterically. We did stop at two bars- one was a low key bar full of dudes, and the other a more well known bar that was pretty much empty. But we had a great time. We got back to the house we were staying and all claimed a spot to crash for the night. I was with Fitz on the couch and the last thing I remember before drifting off into dreamland is her whispering "Hi, Megan" and me giggling.

The next morning Sam, Lauren and I headed out early so we could get back and enjoy a full Sunday. The second we swung open the car doors to head inside, we were met with our neighbor. She looked at me and told me she hit my car, which is almost always in the street. She was really upset, and rightfully so. The car was barely hit, it's a small dent, but she was most upset because we don't really know each other at all, so I think she felt badly that this is how we were meeting. She also just lost her husband a few months ago, and told me that he did everything for her so she's still learning how to do things on her own- driving included. I felt awful, the poor thing was crying and shaking as she kept apologizing to me. I assured her it was fine, I wasn't worried at all about the "damage", that it wasn't a big deal and that it happens- cuz it does- our next door neighbor also tapped my car once.

When I finally calmed her down, I headed back inside with every intent to take a small nap and then go work out. But plans changed, and we found ourselves driving to the brand new, Michigan's fist Cheesecake Factory. I have visited Cheesecake Factory in Nashville and Cleveland and always wondered why Michigan did not have one. We finally opened one a week ago in Novi. People were waiting for FIVE hours that first week! We got there and got a buzzer and were told the wait was about 70 minutes- which honestly, I didn't think was that bad. Especially because the restaurant is in a mall, so we could walk around and kill time, which we did. I got face wash from Lush (my new expensive obsession) and candles from Yankee candle. We headed back to Cheesecake's waiting area and were sitting for maybe 15-20 minutes when our buzzer went off. We were seated outside, which was fine by me since it was a gorgeous day. We were starving, since we waited so long and barely ate breakfast. It was now almost 2 pm. I ordered from their skinnylicious menu- chicken potstickers and white bean chicken chili. Both were delicious- I couldn't eat all the chili and had to bring half of it home. I also ordered a slice of wild blueberry cheesecake to go. I know, I shouldn't be eating cheesecake, but I wasn't about to go to Cheesecake Factory and NOT eat it! That's like, a sin.

When we got home I did take a little nap, and then went to the grocery store for a few things that I needed. I got back, had a chat with the girls, and then made cookies for my neighbor who hit my car, Lois. I also wrote her a little note, explaining she did not need to worry about the car and that she could stop by anytime. I walked over and handed her the cookies, to which she handed me two small loaves of zucchini bread and said she was about to come over and deliver it to me! Lois invited me to sit down and we chatted for a good 25-30 minutes, for the first time ever. It was so nice to get to know her, and I feel a little better about the whole situation and knowing that I have such a lovely neighbor. She said she watches our house a lot (not in a creepy way) to make sure we're all okay, especially if she knows we're out of town. It was very sweet conversation and I have decided I am adopting her as my grandmother.

After my heart to heart with Lois I came back home and watched the VMA's with the girls. My thoughts: I don't care about Lady GaGa anymore, Miley Cyrus should be locked up, Justin Timberlake is beyond incredible, Nsync reunion was the greatest thing I've ever seen, Jennifer Hudson's surprise appearance was my favorite moment, Bruno Mars singing Gorilla made my heart stop, and Katy Perry looks good. Oh, and Taylor Swift is the Queen Bee.

This is a new week full of activities. I have a Tigers game with my coworkers tonight, planning on making dinner and going to a movie with my roomies tomorrow, possibly Kelly Clarkson concert (if ticket prices go down) Wednesday, and Softball party Thursday. Busy busy! But I wouldn't have it any other way!


bk86 said... Add Reply

I am also obsessed with Lush. Luckily I introduced my older sister to the store early last year and now she randomly buys me Lush! It was the best decision I could have ever made!

Shari said... Add Reply

I so enjoy reading about your adventures ... you are very, very lucky to have such a wonderful group of friends. :)

Fingers crossed you can see KC!!