Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Weight Loss Wednesday: Week 7. Inspiration Post!

Following in the footsteps of my friend Dee, I have decided to make today's post about someone else. This will give you and me both a break from reading about my workout logs and tips.

Today I have an exciting post. I  want to introduce you to Patrick Tullio. Patrick is a radio personality on Detroit's 98.7 Amp Radio. He's also a fellow WMU Grad and all around great guy. For the past several months I have been noticing his weight loss journey posts on Facebook. I always stop to read them because it's obvious how hard he is working. He's been very successful on his journey (read below to see how much weight he has lost!) and is one of the people that has inspired me to start my own journey. On the days I don't want to work out, I see Patrick's post about how many miles he did, and off I go to the gym. He's a huge inspiration, and I don't know if he even realizes it!

I wanted to share his story with you so that you can be inspired as well.

Can you tell us a little about yourself? 
My name is Patrick Tullio and I am a local radio personality here in Detroit. I am on a journey to lose weight for not only my physical health but also my mental health.

What moment or event started your weight loss journey?
What started my journey was when I got out of the shower one night and looked in the mirror and just started crying and asking myself how did I let myself go like this? And I just knew from there I needed to change my ways!

What was your starting weight? What weight are you at now?
No comment but I will tell you in the 5 months since I have started this journey I have lost 102 lbs!

What would you say is the most important factor in your weight loss? Changed eating habits? Exercise? Changed thinking? Something else?
At the time it was a girlfriend who was really pushing me but still loved me for who I was but knew I didn’t love myself. That pushed me to eat healthier and to exercise. I started off slow by only walking 2.5 miles then 3 then 4 now I average 7-9 miles  a day 7 days a week.

Are there any obstacles you had to overcome to begin exercising / keep exercising? 
Well I played hockey for 15 years so I knew I had the strength to get up and go but I had to overcome the lack of will power. I had to change my sleeping habits and stop being lazy! I just needed to get off that couch!

What’s your favorite exercise?
Without a doubt its walking I could and do walk for miles!

 How do you deal with boredom in your exercise program? 
I walk outside! There is new scenery every day, you may walk the same paths and routes but you see new things every day and new people and it really keeps things from becoming mundane.

What are 3 of your best eating or dieting tips you would like to share? 
Don’t worry about taking things out of your die.... don’t sacrifice anything. I still put ranch on my salad… I still dress up my brown rice with dressing, its all about portions and a lifestyle change. Make healthier choices and don’t be afraid to fall off failure is only a fact when you give up. Everyone gets knocked down, the question is: Will you get back up? Try not to eat right before you go to bed… if you have to then just have a banana or a glass of milk or a spoonful of peanut butter.

Any final words of advice?
Don’t be afraid to fail like I said before failure is only a fact when you give up. Everyone gets knocked down, the question is: Will you get back up? And I know it may seem like a dark time but just remember the brightest stars need the darkest skies so shine on!

Thank you to Patrick for being so willing to answer these questions for me, and for inspiring me to work harder and get a kick start on my weight loss journey. On your down days, remember that you have motivated people like me to get into shape and get healthy. I wouldn't be 7 weeks into my journey without you!





Follow Patrick on Twitter :)

3 comments:

Dee @ A Deecoded Life said... Add Reply

Yay for inspiration! Whoa Patrick has lost A LOT of weight! So inspiring indeed! Thanks for sharing, you both! :)

Shari said... Add Reply

What a great interview! I love that line about the brightest stars needing the darkest skies ... reminds me of "Faith." :)

Unknown said... Add Reply

Wow. That's incredible. Makes me want to get off my lazy butt and run more often.