Monday, April 25, 2011

Ugly Duckling

I'm about to get real cheesy on you guys...just hear me out.

When I was a little kid, I LOVED the story "The Ugly Duckling". I got it. I understood the meaning, the moral. That little ugly duckling who was mocked and ridiculed by his little duck neighbors, forced to spend a lonely, cold, miserable winter all by himself, and then, turned into a beautiful swan, more beautiful than any other swan. Even as a kid, I knew what that meant- don't judge a book by it's cover, love and accept others and yourself.

The Ugly Ducking is one of those stories that everyone can relate too. I'm sure, at one point or another, each of us have felt like the Ugly Duckling. Maybe because of other people's nasty words, maybe our perceptions of ourselves. Heck some of us battle this every single day. Some of us are constantly labeling ourselves as "The Ugly Duckling". I know I'm guilty. Among my friends I've always, always been "the big girl". When I was in middle and high school I hated going shopping with my friends because they could still wear the cute little junior sizes, and I couldn't. It's taken me a long time to accept myself, and some days I still struggle. But I am too the point where I can work on it (I aim to work out 3-4 days a week and eat healthier. Some days are better than others) and be happy. We compare ourselves to others, beating our self worth into the ground. It has to stop. I grew up in a household where we were taught "let's build each other up, not tear each other down". If only everyone lived their life this way. How peaceful and loving our world would be if we didn't judge others so harshly. Do not dare judge someone by the way they look. Who are you to do such a thing? Our hearts, our thoughts and our actions tell so much more than our face or body.

Love yourself. Do not let anyone call you an Ugly Ducking. Find that beauty inside. Be proud of who you are! Make a list of all the things you love about yourself, and say it out loud. You are worth it. You are beautiful...and you, my friend, are no Ugly Duckling.

No comments: