Tuesday, April 26, 2011

voice

The power of "the voice". And no, I'm not talking about the new show on NBC. (Although I am watching it right now and falling in love with it! Such a great concept). I'm going in a bit of a different direction, though...

Actually, two different directions. First of all, to quickly echo what I was saying yesterday about finding your inner beauty, you also have to find your inner voice. Do not be afraid to stand for what you believe in. This may be your last chance to say what you need to say, so do it now. This is something I'm learning as well, and have to push myself to do every single day. Just today I had to speak up and say my piece. It all goes back to self worth.

Secondly, today I experience the true, raw power of a beautiful singing voice. As part of my job training, I have been shadowing various people in the company to understand what they do and how I will be supporting them in my position. Today I spent a few hours with the music therapist. Prior to today, I had no idea what music therapy really does. Boy, was I in for a treat. I can tell you this: it works. Music therapy is used to calm the patient from anxiety, take away depression, or pain, trigger conversation. The therapist I was shadowing told me she once had a patient who had not spoken in a year. Once she began singing to this patient, the patient immediatley started singing-loudly-along with her. Today I saw similiar affects. One patient was in tremendous pain, by the end of our session she told was smiling, engaging in conversation, and singing along to many of the songs. Our second patient was a sassy little lady, who loved having a part in the session- she played the bells while the therapist sang and played guitar. Our last patient is slowly declining, and in a lot of pain. When we walked in she was breathing quite quickly and heavily. The therapist sang and played a slowed down version of "somewhere over the rainbow", and the patient immediatley slowed her breathing and calmed down. She also began talking to us a little bit. It was one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen. I have always been a large believer in the power of music, but today totally moved my heart and proved to me the truth of that belief. I am so honored and blessed that I could be a part of this expeirence, and now a very strong supporter of music therapy. I also learned some fantastic old (and I do mean old) songs.

Use your voice, use it proudly. :)

No comments: