Monday, May 3, 2010

Be Fearless.

"being told to grow up, and do something practical with your life is raw cynicism...be fearless." - rick devos

I stole that from a friend's facebook status yesterday, (hey heather!) who had heard this spoken at her friend's graduation ceremony. The words "be fearless" hit me hard. Lately I've been so weighted down my stress of my future and my kids. My trip to Nashville was definatley refreshing, but when I returned I went right back into panic mode as far as job applications go.

Be fearless. A concept that can be said so easily, yet is so challenging to put into action. To be fearless means to let go of pressures, anxieties, fears, and to go full force into every opportunity, to conquer every obstacle, and to do it with a smile. Really, we all have the ability to be fearless. It's just a matter of stepping up and doing it. Of course, let's not completely forget about our fears, because sometimes we need to be a little afraid. It makes it all the more worthwhile when we accomplish something. I think there is a definate difference between not caring and being fearless. To be fearless means to recognize our fears, and in that moment, say "okay, I'm scared, but I'm going to be fearless and get this thing finished".

I know I'm not one to talk, since I'm scared...of pretty much everything...but over the past couple years I have learned with ways to deal with my anxiety, and I share them with my students on a daily basis.

-Set small goals. It would be nice if we could say "Tomorrow, I'm going to change everything about my life" and then do it, but it doesn't happen that way. Figure out the small steps you need to take to make it a better tomorrow. Get that e-mail written, make that phone call. If there's something looming over your head, you might as well get it done, rather than having it interfere with your life. Procrastination is an easy way to put away fear, but it will keep coming back until you get it done. So, like Nike, just do it. As Melinda Doolittle says, "if you have to, do it afraid".

-Know that whatever is holding you back can't be there forever. A little roadblock in your journey CAN get knocked down, if you have the right attitude and determination.

-You are the most important person in your life, and essentially, all you can worry about is yourself...not what other people think.

-Don't be afraid to reach out for help. Asking for other people's help is one of my biggest challenges, but I have come to realize that if I am going to do something that terrifies me, I need back up. I don't want someone to do it for me, but I need someone there to cheer me on.

I realize that I'm making this sound like I'm a pro, and that I live my life fearless. Wrong. So, very wrong. Every day is a new challenge, and every day I have to conquer anxieities. I'm still learning, and still willingly take any advice I can get, but over the past two years I have grown tremendously in this area.

So, loves, let's all do one thing today that scares us. Let's be fearless, together.

And while you're out being fearless, remember to pick up a copy of Melinda Doolittle's book, Beyond Me. I'll be posting my review tomorrow. :)

1 comment:

Shari said... Add Reply

I. love. this. blog.

Seriously, I do. I think it's so easy for us to get swept up by fear and let it keep us from doing the things we really want. It can be tough not to hold back sometimes, but finding the courage to be fearless or "do it afraid" can be so empowering. I see you do just that every day, and I can tell you that for me personally, it's so inspiring. You don't let anything stand in your way, and I KNOW your fearlessness will take you far!

Thanks for this important reminder! :)