Thursday, March 7, 2013

embrace your quirks

There's a new girl at work, and she and I have been sort of forced to spend a whole lot of time together. My job usually calls for me working solo- I dip into every different department, but for the most part, it's all me. So spending every single day with someone has been interesting. We've had to get to know each other really well. Lucky for us we get along super well, too. We have the same sense of humor and similar goals.

Once we were swapping super random facts about each other. She told me she loves ducks and feeds the ones that come up to her back porch, and I told her I can't wait to see Oz because I love anything and everything related to the Wizard of Oz. As we were swapping these facts, I thought "I'm going to remember this girl. I'm going to remember this conversation". It's not often that you can have those kinds of interactions with your coworkers. OR with anyone, really. And maybe it's somewhat meaningless, but sometimes I think it's more important to focus on the little things. I also think it's important to be proud of those little things that make you- well- you. Don't be ashamed of your little quirks. Let your freak flag fly. Baby, you were born this way!

But seriously. Be proud of who you are and all of the little things that make you such a cool person. Be real with yourself and be real with others. Life is much more fun that way.

Life Update
We have about 4 more weeks of Lent. I got a little behind on my letters but by the end of this weekend I should be all caught up. I have a bunch to put in the mail. The response from them has been really amazing. Especially the reaction from coworkers. I just get the feeling that they really didn't know how much they meant to me until they read those letters. Now they know.

I ate meat once (a bite of Lauren's turkey burger). I am getting really sick of fish. Literally. I literally got really sick from fish this week.

I had to go on Facebook once to check on something for my volunteers, but other than that I have stayed away. Twitter too. Twitter is much more difficult.

I read two great books recently- 10 Girls to Watch and Mr. Penumbra's 24 Hour Bookstore. I loved both. They were different from each other, but equally great. Now I am reading Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend and it's hard for me to put it down- amazing writing!

Watching Idol. Pretty much the only show I am really watching these days. It's not a great season, kids. My favorites are Kree, Candice, Angie, Paul, and Vincent. Although I'm pretty sure Vincent will be eliminated tonight. Sad face.

I suppose that's about it. I hope you're all doing well. Remember to embrace your quirks.

1 comment:

Shari said... Add Reply

I'm so glad you loved Ten Girls! There's just something really special about that book. I'll add your other two recommendations to my list!

Thinking this may finally be the year for a girl to win Idol ... then again, I've thought that before, too. I think Angie and Candice are awesome, though, and can imagine either one as the winner!