Thursday, September 30, 2010

Out of the Darkness Walk

On Sunday, I'll be walking in the "Out of the Darkness" walk. The walk raises money funds for the American Foundation of Suicide Prevention as well as awareness on suicide. I am walking for a few reasons:

To Raise Awareness Suicide prevention is a cause I am extremely passionate about. I'm an active follower of To Write Love on Her Arms, a non-profit movement dedicated to finding help for people struggling with depression and self injury. I've always been passionate about this cause, but working with teens for the past year has made me even more involved. I saw how easily crushed and suffocated they could get, how hopeless they could be. Some of them felt like the world was closing in on them and they could not escape. I believe that every person deserves hope sprinkled into their lives. No one should ever get to the point of wanting to end their life. Suicide prevention is possible. I'm walking to raise awareness of that fact.

In Memory In memory of the thousands of people who committed suicide last year. In memory of my student's best friend who killed himself at the age of thirteen. In memory of my cousin, Tom, whom I never got the chance to know because he took his own life when I was two years old. He was young himself, only in his late teens. I know he was an amazing young man from the stories I hear. I wish I could have known him.

To Raise Money The AFSP needs all the help it can get with funding for prevention programs and research. You can save a life by donating, and you'd be supporting your good pal Megan at the same time. You can donate here:

http://afsp.donordrive.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=donorDrive.participant&eventID=1078&participantID=146388

If you don't want to pay online with a credit card, you may also mail me cash/ a check and I will donate it to AFSP for the walk.

Thanks for reading, and I hope that you choose to help save a life today.

No comments: