Saturday, June 27, 2009

First Five Songs

Okay, I asked for 5 random numbers, and Brenna answered. Little did show know, she picked 5 of the most meaningul songs on my list! It's about to get deep, people.

11) Ben E. King- Stand By Me

This song immediatley reminds me of one of my best friends from high school (and still is), Meg Mal. I have clear memories of her singing it often....It's one of those songs that everyone knows and loves to sing along to, puts you in a good mood. I live my life very closely to the message in this song...I try to make it clear to everyone in my life that if they need me, I'll be there for them. They can stand by me, I'll be there. It also goes the other way, I feel like I will be okay and can handle whatever life throws at me as long as I have my friends and family there supporting me.



and because my love for David Archuleta grows every day, here is his version



13) Bon Jovi- Living On A Prayer

ROAD TRIPS. That's the first thing that pops in my mind when I hear this song. Road trips, dance parties, college, American Idol, Jordin Sparks, Karoeke...so many memories. This is my favorite Bon Jovi song and reminds me of my best friend Sam...so many times we've yelled out "oooh WE'RE HALFWAY THERE" on our long trips to see Idols.



for Jordin :)



24) David Archuleta- Angels

I am fully aware that David is not the original artist of this song. However, his versoin is so beautiful and holds so much meaning that I'm just going to give him the credit. It's sort of ironic that Brenna randomly picked this number, considering I just saw My Sister's Keeper this morning and have been thinking about Amanda all afternoon. Amanda is who I think of when I hear this song- I know how much she loved it and that it helped her get through her toughest days. I also think of my best friend Sam. When Amanda passed away, Sam listened to David's performance of Angels in her memory...that is how she learned to love David Archuleta. He helped Sam during that extremly hard time in her life. This song will always hold a special place in my heart for what it has done to some of the most amazing people I have ever known.



66) Melinda Doolittle- There Will Come A Day

Much like the above performance, I know that Melinda is not the original artist for this song. I consider her to be, though. I will never, ever forget the first time I heard her sing this song. It was for Idol Gives Back week, and it happened to be at the lowest point of my life. It was a time when I was hiding in my room 24/7, scared to face every day because of all the hate and anger that was happening both around me and inside me. I was in my room, crying my eyes out while I had Idol on in the background. When I heard Melinda sing this song, my life changed. I was ready to give up on everything, suddenly I turned it all around and strived to be a better person. I knew I couldn't keep living the way I was, it was a danger to my mind and body. I still get chills whenever I see this performance or hear it live. I still listen to it very often before I go to sleep (I realize that sounds incredibly creepy...) Melinda will never know how much it means to me. "Thank you, Mama, you've forever made an impact on my life"...is really all I can say.





99. For Good- Wicked

I first heard this song when I was a senior in high school, after I read the novel and bought the soundtrack for the musical. At the time, it fit perfectly for how I felt about my group of friends- especially how we weren't sure if we would ever see each ohter again, but no matter what, each of us had impacted each other's lives. Now, this song is so perfect for how my relationship is with Melinda and the Backups. Every single lyric describes our little family that we have. "I've heard it said that people come into our lives for a reason".... seriously. Melinda brought us all together for a reason. I will always believe that.

I am posting Melinda and Gina's version rather than the original because the two of them singing it has taken on more meaning for me. Also, I love you Gina. Just thought you should know :)

1 comment:

Unknown said... Add Reply

:) WEEEEEeee First of all I LOVE stand by me soo much. I always have forever!! and <3<3 for posting David's verison!! :)

(and I am glad you love is growing! Because he's pretty amazinggg if I do say so)

OMG LIVING ON PRAYER MAKES ME THINK OF US ON ROAD TRIPS TOO!! SOMETIMES I FEEL LIKE ITS OUR SONG!! I love this song so muchhh!!!


OH Angels. Words can't even describe how much this songs means to me. Thank you for loving it too!! You more amazing. <3 you megan. (So goes Amanad and David)
PS So today after lunch I put my phone on the counter, I walk over the computer. Suddenly I hear... "I sit and wait.. I turn im like wth? My phone RANDOMLY started playing Angels.

I LOVE this Melinda song, and when I hear it I think of you. I am soo thankful for everything Melinda has done for you, and THANK GOD EVERYDAY that this song helped change your thinking.

I love this song, Love this verison. Gina and Melinda are amazing.

LOL Sorry I wrote soo much.