Sunday, July 18, 2010

you can always come home

I'm trying really hard to keep my heavy eyes from closing and collapsing ontop of my desk right now. I think that's a sign of a good weekend. Scratch that...I know I had an amazing weekend. I knew it would be exhausting, since I was the hostess for two parties- 5 year high school reunion and Sara (my soon to be sister in law)'s bridal shower. But, I was so full of love and smiles, I don't even care that I can barely move.

Since Thursday was my last day at work, I left my house in Detroit early on Friday to help my mom with a few projects and to set up my sister's house for the shower. I didn't get much sleep that night, but powered through to get most everything finished. I had a good time shopping, cooking, and cleaning with my sister. It was fun to have such a special "project" with her.

After a day of setting up, I headed to Dick O Dow's for our 5 year high school reunion. I have to admit- I was terrfied. I planned the event, and although it was laid back and not extremly difficult to plan, I was so scared it was going to flop. It turned out to be a really fun night, though. We had a decent turnout and I had some great conversations with people. I was a little bummed that some of my closest friends couldn't attend, but in a way it was good because I was sort of forced (I'm not sure that's the right word...) to talk to other people I normally wouldn't have. I got connected with a few people who are interested in the work I'm doing in Detroit and want to get involved themselves, so that was cool. Also fun to share "crazy college stories". Overall, it was a good night and I'm looking forward to the 10 year reunion :)

When I got home, I was greeted by my brother and his fiancee Sara. So excited to see them, since it's only every few months that it happens. We all went to sleep pretty shortly after I got home. Saturday morning woke up and headed to my sister's house for the shower. The shower was so that our family could celebrate, since the couple lives in Indiana, as does Sara's family. I was SO excited to my family members- especially those I never see. It was evident how full of love and joy everyone in that house was Saturday. I was happy to be by Sara's side most of the day and watch the interaction between her and my family. We played games, ate delicious food, opened presents, and chatted. I'm hoping to go visit one of my aunts up north soon, and looking forward to seeing everyone else again at the wedding. Shower was perfect- everything I was hoping for.

After the shower, my sister, mom, Sara, and myself shot over to my parents house to grab our clothes and my dog, because the boys were going to be there for the bachelor party. We ran all around the house to get our stuff just as they were all coming back from playing boccee ball. I was happy to see so many family/friends there to support my brother. We ran out of there after literally throwing Seamus in the car (he was too scared to jump in). We headed back to my sister's house, where we were joined by two of my sister's friends whose husbands were at the bachelor party. we lounged around, ordered pizza, talked for hours and watched Leap Year. Throughout the movie, we kept getting texts/calls from the boys telling us the party was wrapping up and we could come back if we wanted- but we wanted to finish our movie and time together! My mom, Sara, and I finally headed back around 12:30. When we got there, it was just my brother, his friend Mark, and my dad left sitting on the patio. Sara and I joined them for a few final drink and exchange of stories about our days (whose do you think were just a little crazier?) and then everyone headed to bed. I was seriously just so ecstatic and grateful that my brother and Sara had a good time at their parties- they deserve it.

This morning I woke up and laid in my mommy's bed talking with her for a while and then discovered that Spill Canvas, my FAVORITE BAND EVER was doing a meet and greet just minutes from my parents house. I knew they were in town but didn't have tickets to see their show because they are opening for Goo Goo Dolls and tickets are SUPER expensive. So, I sat around with Alex, JP, and Sara, ate some delicious Olga's, and then packed up the car. Made a stop at the meet and greet at Caribou. I was ready to walk in, get a drink, and then mosey over to their table. HOWEVER, when I walked in, they were all walking directly towards me, drinks in their hand, headed for front table. Nick Thomas, my musical hero, was directly in front of me. I've met him once before but this was way different. He asked if I was here for them and I was all excited and said "YES!". haha. So I had them sign my poster, shook all their hands, and then they asked if I was coming to the show. I said that I wasn't and I was sad because it was the first time I've ever missed a show, that I even went to the shows before they were somewhat famous and it was just Nick and his guitar. Nick got all sad and then gave me a hug and said "I'm sorry, Pooh Bear!". I looked at him weird and he was like "since you've known us so long you deserve a pet name". The rest of the band got pulled away from me by another girl, but I was fine with that, ha. Before Nick had a chance to walk away I said "you are a genius. Thank you for all your lyrics. You inspired me to write. You have no idea how grateful I am for your music. It's been part of me since I was 13. It's my heart." He smiled and said "that's kickass. Keep writing...I want to hear one of your songs on the radio one day". Then he gave me another hug. I AM AN IDIOT and did not charge my camera, so I didn't get a picture...but I'm happy with my poster and conversation :) It was very surreal. There I was, talking to the guy who comes through my speakers every single day with words that are my core. I love them so much and will ALWAYS be a fan. Always.

So, I'm a few days behind on this letter thing, huh? Here we go.

day 12 - the person you hate most/caused you a lot of pain
Hello,
I don't hate you, but you did cause me an enormous amount of pain. You pretty much ruined my entire sophomore year of college. I'll never forgive you for that. Things could have been so different. Better. Now I look back on that year with anxiety and hate, and it's your fault.
Megan.

day 13 - someone you wish could forgive you
Hi Girls-
I'm not sure what happened between us, but suddenly it felt like it was all five of you against me. I'm not sure if it's something I did, but that is what I have been told....if it is, I'm sorry. I spent the best years of my life with you and don't want whatever mess we got ourselves into to ruin those memories. I'm proud of all of you and hope that you are happy, wherever you are. I'll always love you and hope you can forgive me and accept the mistakes I made.
Love, Megan

day 14 - someone you’ve drifted away from
To Everyone I've drifted from-
Life happens and I'm sorry if you think I'm ignoring you. Know that all I have to do is hear a song, see a movie, hear a word, and I think of some of you- and smile. Call me, let's chat. I'd love to hear what you are doing.


day 15 — the person you miss the most
Dear Grandma and Grandpa (both sides)-
I wish you were here. I miss you all so much. You left us too soon. I know you've been watching over me since you passed, but I wish you could be here so I could see your beautiful faces and hug you. Thank you for raising my parents to be such amazing people. Thank you for always taking care of us. I miss you and I love you very much. Take care of Laurence for me.
Love, Megan

1 comment:

Shari said... Add Reply

I'm SO glad you had such a special weekend. I know the past couple weeks have been emotional and trying, and you absolutely deserved this time to spend with your family, friends, and former classmates. Five year reunions definitely have the possibility to be either great or awkward, but it sounds like yours went off without a hitch :) And then the shower AND meeting the Spill Canvas guys!! It sounds like one of those weekends where everything so perfectly fell into place.

I enjoyed reading about all of it, but especially you talking to Nick. Isn't it such a special thing to have that connection with someone who's been such an inspiration? What you said to him is SO sweet, and I LOVE his response. I can tell how much he believes in you!