Tuesday, July 13, 2010

I'll leave nothing less than something that says I was here

These past few weeks have been all about goodbyes. I've said goodbye to the kids and most of the Sister's of Mercy, this week I have to say goodbye to one of my community members and all of my cowokers. It's tough. I just spent a year pouring my heart and soul into this experience and now it's over....and I will probably never see most of these people again.

Last night the four of us gathered for our last spirituality night. I've looked forward to our Monday evening's together all year. They have been a time of peace, understanding, and support as each of us grow further in our spiritual journey. Last night we went to dinner at Le Petit Zinc, a little French cafe by our house that we have been wanting to try all year. Then we shared a brief reflection on the year, took a "family photo" and made tshirts (MVC IN THE D!). I just love those kids. I shared this with them last night as part of my reflection (and yes, I know this is starting to get repetative).

. I’m also taking away three best friends. …. One of my biggest anxieties coming into the experience was community life, because I have suffered many “bad roommate situations”. I’m also a very shy and anxious person, so it takes me a while to get used to new people. However, you guys made it so easy. You opened your arms, hearts, and ears to me. You quickly became my best friends, in a sort of deep friendship I’ve never had before. You’ve each left an incredible impact on my life…to quote from Wicked, “It well may be That we will never meet again In this lifetime So let me say before we part So much of me Is made of what I learned from you You'll be with me Like a handprint on my heart And now whatever way our stories end I know you have re-written mine By being my friend...”.

Now that everything is wrapping up, it's time to look ahead to the future. I have no idea what it hold for me, which is both exciting and terrifying. Sometimes I go into a spiral of anxiety and worry when thinking about it...my mind starts racing with thoughts of no job, no money, no car, no community members supporting me, etc. When I start getting anxious, I am reminded of my favorite bible verse, Jer 29:11. For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” I know that I will be taken care of. It's just hard to focus on that right now.

This week should be pretty busy. Nate will leave us on Thursday. I'm going to miss the heck out of that boy! He is so much like my older brother it's insane (and drives me insane sometimes). I love it, though, because it feels more like home. I am so proud of Nate and know that he is going to be on hell of a doctor. Good luck in New York City, buddy. I promise I'll visit.

Day 9- Someone I Wish I Could Meet.

Dear Oprah,
We could change the world, you and I. I've got big ideas, you've got DA POWER. Even though I'm still totally mad at you for never responding when my friends made the BEST VIDEO EVER and sent it to you, I do admire you. One day I will meet you...we'll talk about my book and Laurence and orphanages in Africa. Thank you for all that you do. Let me know when you want to have lunch.

Love, Megan



Day 10-Someone You Don't Talk To As Much As You'd Like To

Dear Sarah, Jamie, and Lindsay-
Of all my friends that I don't talk with regularly, you three are the ones I miss the most. You pretty much ARE my childhood/adolesence. I look back on the times we've shared with nothing but smiles. Everything was always just so easy with you three...even though it made me sad when Jamie and Lindsay fought (remember when I wrote you that note?). Our trips up north, watching NICK GAS, ponce tournaments, concerts, dance parties, sleepovers, etc are so important to me. What I love the most about the three of you is that I know if I ever needed anything, I could call you up and you'd be there, no questions asked...and I hope you know I'd do the same for you. I love you guys so much. I'm so proud of each of you and the mark you are making on this world. You all inspire me, day in and out, even though we don't talk often. Thank you for the beautiful friendship. I am blessed to have each of you in my life. Can we PLEASE have a lovefest soon?
ALL MY LOVE, Meggers. Megaroni. Meggie. Pops. Lil Jon. Donut hater.

I think it's only appropriate that I assign this song to you girls...

No comments: