Wednesday, December 5, 2012

20 somethings



This is dedicated to my fellow 20 somethings. Life for us is miserable and magical at the same time. Oh crap. That’s a Taylor Swift lyric. Don’t you hate how that 22 year old billionaire is always right?  But seriously. T Swizzle, you’re right again. It IS miserable and magical at the same time. 

We are pulled in a thousand different directions. We’re trying to figure it out. We’re trying to forget the mistakes we made in college. We’re trying to build our future. And everyone wants to know our plan. But we don’t have one. We can still laugh for hours at the silliest things but we can also cry at the drop of a hat. We wonder why everyone feels the need to mother us, and the next second we’re begging for someone to mother us. We’re praying that everything will fall into place, preferably before the ke$ha concert because we have 2nd row tickets and that’s the reason we put feathers in our hair. And most of all, we are looking for love. We are looking for our match, someone who has a decent job, doesn't live with mommy and daddy, and ::gasp:: actually treats us well. 

Also, don't you find it kind of ironic that we are supposed to be role models for the youngins' in our life? A coworker of mine wants me to meet her daughter and "knock some sense into her". My youth group kids recently discussed their worries about career goals. I was so amused by that. Here I sit at 25, no idea what I want to do with the rest of my life, and these 15 year olds are worried about it? Cripes! I try my best to be a role model to those kids. I know my life may not be exactly the ideal life, but at least I can teach them to be kind to one another.

It’s exhausting, huh?  Is there a solution? I don’t think so. I think we have to find what works best for us. And I think we just have to keep going and to live every day as if it is a new adventure. It’s kind of exciting, to see what surprises are in store for us.  We can do this. One freaking step at a time. 



No comments: