Sunday, August 19, 2012

tonsillectomy

I could sit here and tell you all the awful things that have happened during my tonsillectomy recovery, but no one wants to hear that (and I've done enough of that on facebook). So instead; I will tell you what has been good.

1.The sherbet. I love me some sherbet and it has been the best cure food wise. It does soothes my throat and numbs it for a good 10-20 minutes; which is a God send. I have  about 2-3 small bowls a day. I'm probably never going to want orange sherbet again; but for now it is my best friend.

2. I'm learning sign language. Okay, not really, but I am making my own sign language up! I seriously cannot talk because I'm so swollen, so I have resorted to mumbling, grunting, pointing, writing things down. It's most fun to act things out. And my mom has gotten really good at understanding what I am saying.

3. I have lost 5 pounds. I'm not kidding. I got weighed right before my surgery,  checked my weight today and was down 5 pounds. By the time I come back to I may be down 5 more. Take that; tonsils!

4. I am officially caught up on all things Kardashian thanks to E! and thanks to the fact that it is THE ONLY THING ON TV.

5.  Who knew ice chips could be so delicious and soothing? I sure didn't, until now.

6. I have been practicing my sweet sudoku skills.

7. I caught up on all celebrity gossip and news that I missed while I was too busy working. Nicki Minaj might be an Idol judge?  WHAT? SIGN. ME. UP.

8. I have found that whenever I go through a period of very intense pain (which is usually either right after I wake up from a nap or about an hour before my meds are due) I get Taylor Swift's new song stuck in my head. I don't really like the song, but it forces me to focus on the ridiculously silly words rather than the pain. So now I'll never, like never, be able to hear that song without thinking of this experience. Like, never.

9. I have seen compassion in a golden retriever. Well, maybe more curiosity than compassion.. When I was really sick Saturday night, my sister's pup ran into the bathroom with me and then curled up on the couch next to me.

10. The sweet texts, tweets, facebook comments I am getting from everyone are pulling me thru! Whether its a tip or a get better wish, I feel so much love and so supported. This tonsillectomy is nothing compared to what a lot of people go through, so I feel pretty blessed to have so much love pouring out!

This does suck, it's one of the toughest things I've been through physically. But I think I am on the mend. I have maybe another day or two of the "intense pain" and then things should start to get better, with random moments of the pain coming back. I just want to get my energy back and to be able to eat again.

Much love to you all.

1 comment:

Shari said... Add Reply

I love how you're always able to look on the bright side of things - even with a situation like this, when you're clearly going through a lot. Sending continued well wishes your way. I hope you feel better so soon! <3