Thursday, April 26, 2012

Valiant




Valiant:  possessing or acting with bravery or boldness

I've come across plenty of people in my life who hold these qualities. People I've worked with, people in my family, my friends who have seen way too much tragedy. Currently, it's my cousin Lynn who is my valiant hero.

Lynn is a 33 year old preschool teacher living in Texas. Lynn is a singer. Lynn is a daughter, a sister, a girlfriend, a niece, a friend. Lynn is fighting breast cancer.

Originally, things seemed pretty optimistic. They caught it early, it didn't appear to have spread. After a few more tests, Lynn's stage 1 breast cancer has now moved to stage 2. She's going to have to go through some pretty serious treatment (and has already had a mastectomy). I can't imagine what Lynn is facing. Just a few months ago, her life was pretty normal. Now, her life revolves around kicking cancer in the face.

But Lynn is maintaining a pretty heroic attitude. She's blogging about her experiences, she's being totally real and honest but also putting a positive spin on things and showing her appreciation for her family and friends supporting her through the fight.

You know, lately I've had a lot on my plate when it comes to work. I come home every single day exhausted, frustrated, and angry. My back hurts from the combination of stress and sitting in an office chair all day. But then I remember my cousin Lynn. And if she can kick cancer's ass, I can get through a stressful work day.

Lynn, my dear cousin. I love you. Some of my very fondest childhood memories involve you and going to your parents house, playing with that dollhouse. As I've told Bonny, time and distance can never take away how much you mean to me. I have always admired your go getter attitude and the way you chased those dreams of yours. I'll be straight up honest: this sucks. It's not fair. And some of us may not always have the right words. So please forgive us if we get things wrong. Take one day at a time as you beat this disease, and celebrate whenever you can. Lean on us when you need too. We're not going anywhere. We are here for you, cheering on our valiant Lynn. I love you.

And He will raise you up on eagle's wings,
Bear you on the breath of dawn,
Make you to shine like the sun,
And hold you in the palm of His Hand

Follow Lynn's journey on her blog: http://battleoftheboobs.wordpress.com/

Who is your valiant hero?

No comments: