Thursday, April 12, 2012

jump start my kaleidoscope heart

Kaleidoscope is not one of those words you hear very often. So when Sara Barielles released her sophomore album in 2010, I was a little confused about the album title. Kaleidoscope Heart? That's different. There's a title track on the album, and she also mentions it in her hit song "Uncharted" when she sings "Jump start my kaledioscope heart, love to watch the colors fade". I once saw a video where Sara explained the idea behind kaleidoscope heart:

"The idea behind 'Kaleidoscope Heart' is that we're all sort of in pieces and broken bits on the inside, but somehow, when you look through them, you still see something beautiful and colorful and magical..."- Sara Barielles

Wow. Now that? Is why this girl is an amazing songwriter. How true is that statement? We all have our little broken pieces, and yet we all have a story, and Sara is right, you can find the beauty in everyone and anyone. Everyone has something to offer the world, despite how broken they might be, or might have been in the past.

When I meet a new person I always want to know their story. Where they came from, where they are headed and what bumps they've hit along the way. I have a friend named Meghan who is the same way- and she's just the friendliest person. Within moments of meeting you she'll ask you an obscure question like "what's the best birthday present you ever received?" or "where did your parents meet". Some people are thrown off by it, because it's a rare thing, for someone to be that genuinely interested in your life. But Meghan is. Meghan appreciates the good and bad in people, she likes to hear the quirks and the stories. That's one of the reasons I love Meghan so much- she gets people, and she WANTS to get people.

I got a little off track there. I guess what I'm saying is we should live like Sara's words and Meghan's actions and look into people's hearts a little more to find the colors inside of them. Recognize their beauty and know that they have one heck of a story and "pieces" that make them who they are right now. We've all been broken, in some way shape or form. That's what makes us human. But we're also beautiful, colorful. Like a kaleidoscope. Appreciate that in every person you meet.

1 comment:

Anonymous said... Add Reply

Beautiful post! Glad I stopped by.