Monday, April 28, 2014

Life Savers

I, like most of us labeled "millennial", love social media. I find it fascinating.

Very often on social media, I see young teens, specifically girls, claiming that celebs and stars "saved their life". I cringe a little when I read that. But, I do admit, I used to be one of those girls. I am 100% confident that I have said those exact words on numerous occasions about songs, lyrics, singers, books. In fact, I probably said this somewhat recently. You won't hear me say it anymore, though. I have realized the truth.

I saved my own life.

And girls, only you are capable of saving your own life. Give yourself some credit. You are much stronger than you ever realize.

I am not saying it's impossible that these celebs/singers/youtubers/whoever have inspired you. Maybe they said or sang something that hit home or made you feel less lonely. But they did not save your life. You did that. Perhaps they gave you the push or the drive that you needed, but the saving was all on your own.

We should not rely on anyone, famous or not famous, to fix us or to save us. When we do that, we put them on a pedestal, we begin to idolize them and think they can do no wrong. We think everything they do is an act of God, and that they are perfect. And then maybe they do something that lets us down, and our whole world crashes.

YOU are the reason that you are still here. You are the reason you stopped self harming. You made the smart, and conscious decision, to begin to live your life in peace and to stop listening to those stupid voices in your head that try to tell you you're not good enough. Kiddo, you are more than good enough. You are worthy of love. You are worthy of SELF love.

If you have overcome depression, self harm, or suicidal thoughts, I give you a huge standing ovation. That is a major accomplishment. You should be proud, you have been so brave and fought hard. But please, don't give a celebrity all of the credit. Recognize the strength in yourself, and give yourself a pat on the back. You did it. You are a life saver of your very precious life. Take care of it from now on. Be gentle.

No comments: