Tuesday, January 24, 2012

words, words, words

I mentioned in my last blog how bothered I have been by people casually saying things like "Shoot me now" or "I'm gonna kill someone". I never really realized how often I hear them until recently. And now I cringe every time I do.

I've always believed that words are powerful, but this is the first time I can remember feeling physically ill because of someones choice of words. It's hit me just how much words matter. How we never really know what we say can affect someone else. Words can hurt. I think we need to be a little more conscious of that. I'm not saying we should spend every second worrying about our words and how they will affect others, because then we'd all be mute. But I do think we should be more aware of it. Choose them wisely. Take a deep breath and count to 10 before you speak. Think, "is this going to hurt someone? could this potentially hurt someone?". Sometimes it amazes me how fast words can get twisted. Rumors spread like wildfire all because someone changed a word or two in a statement they heard. It's sickening, really.

Words can also heal, though. If they are so powerful that they can tear someone apart, then they are also just as powerful to pick someone back up. We shouldn't be afraid to speak up and say "Hey, I care about you and your feelings". I am lucky that I work in a place where I see positive words shared between strangers every day. A volunteer will call in after meeting their patient for the first time, so excited that they were able to hear a story or that they could offer some comfort. It's a beautiful thing, our ability to touch one another through words.

So be careful. Choose your words wisely. Speak up, but speak carefully.

PS...Speaking of words, I just wrote this in about 4 seconds. Hope you like it.

hey, here we are again

hey, fancy meeting you again

I should warn you I'm not

the way I was back then

But before you run, baby you should know

I'm so much better than that

I'm not afraid like I was back then

You loved me then, I know

And I just shut you out

But I'm ready, yes I'm ready

I don't know what you've heard about me

Maybe that I went a little crazy

Maybe that I made new friends and left

others behind. but what they don't know

Is I'm so much better than that

I'm not afraid like I was back then

Afraid of loving me, afraid to be free

But I'm ready, yes I'm ready

And I'm so, so happy

That we're meeting here again

No comments: