Dudes, it’s November. I’m sorry, but when did that happen? Last I recall I was sitting on my bed crying because I was so nervous about MVC orientation. Now I’m sitting on my bed, my eyes hurt from crying because I opened up about the loss of my grandparents and other loved ones to my community members during spirituality night.
Today we celebrate “Day of the Dead”. We had a Mass at school and I am told it was very emotional. I am sad to report that I missed it, because I was cleaning the cafeteria after lunch and didn’t make it on time. I am told that some of the kids completely broke down in remembering their loved ones that they have lost. Many of them have lost a parent, sibling, or close friend to violence or addiction. Let’s remember their daily internal struggles for a moment.
I consider myself a pretty grateful person, I try to express my gratitude as often as possible. I think it’s so important to thank the people in your life who are there for you. Perhaps it’s as equally important to be thankful for those who have hurt you- they may have made an impact on your life and changed something about you.
Therefore, for the entire month of November I am pledging to blog every single day about what I am thankful for. Some will be based on that day, some will be general things that I am thankful for. I will also choose one person in my life to thank. I encourage all of you to do the same, whether privately or publicly. You’ll never know the impact you may have on someone just by saying “thank you”.
Today, I am thankful for:
- My position at Cristo Rey. I am here for a reason and I am beginning to recognize that more and more every day. I am thankful for the students and the staff.
- My community members. I wouldn’t be able to go through this experience alone. They are there in times of stress and they are there in times of celebration. They are my family, and I adore them.
- Our house and our neighbors. We live in a safe pocket of Detroit; our neighbors are great and so supportive. We are able to have a happy home and live freely.
- My faith, which never leaves my side. I am thankful to have such a strong relationship with God and to proudly say that I love Him.
- My family, who are always so supportive of everything I do. I love my family more than anything else in this world; they are the most amazing group of people you could imagine. Whenever times are tough I know that they are here for me and love me unconditionally.
The person I would like to hi-light tonight is my best friend Sam. We’ve been friends since my sophomore year of college, when we were both really upset with things going on at the sorority and I pretty much demanded that she go on a walk with me. I believe it was after we decided we were living together with Mary and Fitz. I just remember venting and talking about Hanson and Idol. We instantly clicked, and that summer we were desperately searching for a way to see our favorite Idols in concert. I’d say the day Jess called me and said she won tickets for us, and then Sam and I fangirling over the phone was the day we really became besties. Since that summer we’ve had some of the most amazing times. Sam is one of the few friends I have that has seen me at my best and at my worst- but still loves me anyways. She is one of the most supportive and dedicated people I know, and always has something positive to say about someone. She would do anything for her friends; actually she’d do anything for anyone. Sometimes I don’t think this girl gives herself enough credit for the good she does and is able to do in the world. She’s one of those people who can instantly make me smile. All of the things we’ve done together are so very close to my heart, from the insane traveling to working at the soup kitchen for a day. She’s one of the few people who can make me laugh until my stomach hurts or until I’m crying. Also, she understands me. She understands why Melinda plays such a big role in my life, why I am in love with someone who I’ll never have, my fears and anxieties, my hopes, my love for music, my writing. She’s actually the only person who understands ALL of this completely. Everyone should be able to have a best friend like that. I am truly blessed to have her in my life.
"When it hurts to look back, and you're scared to look ahead, you can look beside you and your best friend will be there”
A song for my bestie: