Monday, February 25, 2013

The Oscars

I watched all of the Oscars last night. Every moment. I don't know that I've ever done that. I'm more of a music person than movies, but this year I saw almost all of the nominees. I had to watch and show my support of some great films.

So let's break it down, shall we?

The Worst Part: Seth McFarlane hosted. Why, I'm not so sure. Look I get that this is the guy behind Family Guy and Ted and we should not be surprised that he will make some pretty inappropriate jokes, but I was not amused last night. I was actually pretty offended by most of the stuff he said. The Oscars are about fun and glamour and art, not about tearing people down and saying things that are not appropriate. It's fun when these stars can make lighthearted funny digs at each other, but that's not what he did. I hope that next year the Academy uses their heads and picks a host who is funny, well rounded, and appropriate. My pick would be Melissa McCarthy.

To be honest Seth kind of brought down the show for me. I was cringing through mots of his jokes and just found myself kind of bored and waiting for the next big award. But then we had that fabulous musical interulde and it kind of made things better. So, on that note...

The Best Part:Movie musicals are one of my favorite things in this world. They just make me so happy. And, appropriatley, three of my favorites were showcased last night. Did you all see how flawless Catherine Zeta Jones looked performing that Chicago number? Wowee! Homegirl can sing, and dance,  and looks amazing. And JENNIFER HUDSON! I had actually just watched Dreamgirls that night before and still had the music swarming in my head. That voice- it's like she just opens her mouth and it comes out. So powerful and fantastic.

Then the Les Mis cast came on stage and I swear I nearly cried. Just to see them all up there in there singing their hearts out. Anne Hathaway had mentioned on the red carpet that she was excited because this was the last time they would be singing together, and you can really tell how close that cast is just by looking at their emotion on stage. Everybody sounded amazing. If you haven't had a chance to watch that beautiful movie, I suggest you do so as soon as you can get your hands on it. The lyrics are haunting, in every single song. Just gorgeous.

We can't talk about the music of the evening without mentioning the fabulous Miss Adele. Skyfall was one of my favorite tunes this year. It's a beautiful song. Her performance of it was wonderful, as always. I think she blew those actors away.

Taking a step back from the music scene, I guess we can talk about the main event- the awards. As I mentioned before, I saw almost every movie nominated, so I was ecstatic to see who would get crowned. Here are the awards I really cared about:

Best Original Song
My Pick: Skyfall, Adele
Winner: Skyfall, Adele
Adele's taking over the Oscar's, ya'll! That girl now has several Grammys, a Golden Globe, and an Oscar. What a talented young lady. She was so gracious and sweet when she accepted the Oscar, it was quite evident how excited she was to be honored with the award.

Best Foreign Language Film
My Pick: Amour
Winner: Amour
Okay, so it was the only foreign film I saw...but it's still my pick. A few weeks ago I decided I just had to see this movie. I had been warned that it was very sad and depressing. Yes, it is. But it's also beautiful. I could not help but be reminded of my sweet hospice patients who are suffering from dementia.

Best Actress In A Supporting Role
My Pick: Anne Hathaway, Les Miserables
Winner: Anne Hathaway, Les Miserables
Anne Hathaway has never been better than she was in Les Mis. And I love her in everything that she does, so that says a lot. She truly deserved that award. The girl lost like 25 lbs in two weeks or something ridiculous like that, cut her hair live on camera for the film, and sang live while filming. I'm pretty sure the entire Les Mis fandom cried when Anne opened her speech by saying "It came true" in reference to "I Dreamed A Dream". I'm so happy that dream came true for her.

Best Actor in A Supporting Role
My Pick: Tommy Lee Jones, Lincoln
Winner: Christopher Waltz, Djanjo Unchained
When I saw Lincoln, I was most captivated by Tommy Lee Jones' character. He did a wonderful job, and I was hoping he'd pick up that award. Djanjo was the one movie I didn't see, so I can't say much about Christopher's character, I'm sure he was fantastic and deserving of the award.

Best Actress in A Leading Role
My Pick: Jennifer Lawerence, Silver Linings Playbook
Winner: Jennifer Lawerence, Silver Linings Playbook
This was a very tough category, all of the women pulled off absolutely amazing performances in their films. But J Law, that girl just stole my heart with her  role in Silver Linings Playbook. Mental illness is something that hits close to home, and she portrayed it in a way that was both hilarious and sad and TRUE. I know that this is just the start of many wins for Jennifer, she's so young and so incredibly talented. And c'mon, anyone who falls up the stairs is a winner in my book.

Best Actor In A Leading Role
My Pick: Hugh Jackman, Les Miserables
Winner: Daniel Day Lewis, Lincoln
I knew Daniel Day Lewis was going to take home the Oscar, and yes he totally deserved it, but I was really pulling for Hugh. Hugh's performance in Les Mis was absolutley stunning. His voice is bananas, and his acting just as perfect. But as I said, Daniel Day Lewis was the only person who could have pulled off playing Lincoln in the way that he did, so well done sir.

Best Picture
My Pick: Les Miserables
Winner: Argo
Argo was good. I liked it, a lot. But Les Miserables- that show just has my heart and soul. I can't express the power behind that story and the lyrics. The movie was so beautifully well done, it was rich and captivating. My eyes did not once leave the screen.




1 comment:

furmurr said... Add Reply

Totally agree. Especially the part about the host.