Thursday, November 8, 2012

tightrope walker

Something has happened, dudes. Something I didn't see coming. I guess it's been slowly building up for the past year and a half. But it hit full force.

I really, really care about my coworkers. Even the ones I don't particularly like.

How did that happen? I'm not sure. I mean I've made some great friends at work. But it hit me yesterday as I walked up and down the hallways giving away tissue paper made flowers just how much I really CARE about them. I worry if they look upset, I jump to help them if they are having issues with their computer or tablet. I hope that they have a good day and a relaxing weekend. I hate that they work too much.

When I first started this job I was terribly shy. In some ways I still am. But mostly, I have grown out of that. I have gained confidence, enthusiasm, and, most importantly, I have gained several important relationships.

It would be silly to name my coworkers who have become my close friends. I don't want to leave anyone out, and there's too many. They know who they are. But let's just say they all fill a different purpose. Some act as my "work moms". Some annoy the daylights out of me. Some I turn to when nothing else is going right. Some I go to for laughs, encouragement, eye rolls. One has become one of my best friends. One is my best friend and has been since we were five. And one is the gal I can talk to about Taylor Swift, boys, and Constant Comment tea.

I have so much respect for my coworkers. We have a difficult job. Every single day we are working with people who are dying. We work with their families who are fragile. We go into nursing homes and assisted livings, all of which have a totally different system and personality. Our work is difficult. Challenging. Frustrating. Heartbreaking. But they are amazing. Caring. Beautiful. Strong. Compassionate. Some of them don't even know how great they are, how many lives they touch. How much they are appreciated. My life has been significantly impacted over the past year and a 1/2 by knowing these people. So at the end of the day, when I'm tired and frustrated, I keep in mind how lucky I am to be surrounded by such people.


1 comment:

Anonymous said... Add Reply

Keep on going on! Thats so encouraging! I really needed these positive words this week! Thank You for being there for me to vent to!
Christina