Wednesday, May 16, 2012

top thrill dragster

"Keep your arms in, head back, and hold on tight!"

These are the instructions given to those who dare to ride the Top Thrill Dragster, the world's tallest and fastest roller coaster. This is also the phrase my medical director and I have decided is our life motto. Why, exactly?

Well, everyone says life is like a roller coaster. Ups and downs, twists and turns. But the Top Thrill Dragster is special. It goes from 0-120 mph in 3.8 seconds. It drops 420 feet. The ride is over in 13 seconds, but in those 13 seconds you feel terrified yet uniquely fulfilled all at the same time. That is so parallel to my life. I am taken on these crazy journeys where I'm thinking "why am I doing this?". It's scary, my heart beats fast. Pretty soon it's over, and I'm saying "let's do that again". And those instructions they give riders? Those are instructions for life. Keep your head back and held high. Hold on tight, because life is about to take you for a spin.

Lately when people ask me how I'm doing or how work is, I have one answer "crazy". Because it is. Life is crazy. I haven't had a slow week since I started. And then I have my outside commitments. But you know what? Life is good. Because amidst the bad news, the stress, the unknown, the fast pace craziness, I can still find reasons to smile. I can still enjoy it.

So life, I'm ready for whatever you want to throw at me. I know I can handle it. I'm strapped in, I'm holding tight. Leggo.

<iframe width="400" height="233" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LbN3NU4hIZg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>iframe>

1 comment:

Anonymous said... Add Reply

remember Cedar Pointe and the 48" height rule for some of the rides? Too bad that sometimes we can't have someone say, "no, sorry, you can't get on this ride. Maybe next year." Nope. Life pushes us on, whether we are ready or not. Whether we want to or not. Dr. Phil