Monday, February 13, 2012

2012 grammys

Awards I Care About

Best Country Song
My Pick: God Gave Me You, written by Dave Barnes, recorded by Blake Shelton
Winner: Mean, written by Taylor Swift, recorded by Taylor Swift.
Comments: Uhm. I love Taylor. But Mean is one of my least favorite Taylor songs. She has some that are much, much better written. (DEAR JOHN FOR CRYING OUT LOUD). But still, congrats to her, since she did write her entire album.

Best Country Duo/Group Performance
My Pick: Don't You Wanna Stay, Jason Aldean/Kelly Clarkson
Winner: Barton Hallow, Civil Wars
Comments: If I had to pick a second winner, it'd be Civil Wars. They are fantastic. But "Don't You Wanna Stay" is a gorgeous duet that gives me goosebumps every single time I hear it!

Best Country Album
My Pick: Own The Night, Lady Antebellum
Winner: Own The Night, Lady Antebellum
Comments: Yes, Taylor's Speak Now album was fantastic, but nowhere near as good as Own The Night. Great to see them go from a little unknown trio to a mega country band. Terrific album, you should check it out if you haven't already. Well deserved, kids.

Best New Artist
My Pick: Nicki Minaj
Winner: Bon Iver.
Comments: I don't know Bon Iver or his music. I just think Nicki has quite a story, and has taken the title of best female rapper.

Song of The Year
My Pick: Rolling in the Deep, Adele
Winner: Rolling in the Deep, Adele.

Record of the Year
My Pick: Rolling in the Deep, Adele
Winner: Rolling in the Deep, Adele

Album of the Year
My Pick: 21, Adele
Winner: 21, Adele
Comments:The other albums in this category did not come close to the magic that is 21. Very cool to see such a beautiful album, with no gimmicks or over production, scoop up the album of the year win. Although I do find it a little funny that when I asked my twitter friends "what's your favorite adele song?" 99% of the answers were a song from 21. Pssst: She has another album, 19, that's just as good.

Performances

Bruno Mars, Runaway Baby
Know why I love Bruno Mars? Besides that adorable little face? He's classy. His performance was the perfect combination of showmanship and vocals. He didn't go over the top but he gave us a good show. I love his old school vibe. I actually love everything about him. As far as male pop artists go, he's probably the best we have right now. Keep on sanging, Bru Bru. Oh, and I yes, I saw you wink at the camera.

Chris Brown
I don't even know the name of the song nor do I care to look it up. Positive things to say about Chris? Boy can dance. Okay, now that's out of my system, time to tell you how I really feel. I find it absolutely disgusting that he was allowed to perform. I know, I know, people make mistakes and we should forgive them. But my thing is, violence towards other people is unforgivable. Breaking a window at Good Morning America and putting innocent people in physical harm is unforgivable. Why should we continue to give him chances and applaud him? He messed up, more than once. And I just find it very unappealing that three years ago, at this VERY SAME EVENT, he was beating up his girlfriend, and now he's on the stage acting like it's all okay. It will never be okay.

Jason Aldean/Kelly Clarkson, Don't You Wanna Stay
There were some mic issues there, but they still pulled off a great performance. Kelly looked stunning. Her weight has been a target in the media, but I thought she looked fabulous...and I personally don't care what someone looks like, if they have those kind of pipes. She's wonderful. And Jason isn't so bad himself.

Alicia Keys/Bonnie Raitt, Sunday Kind Of Love
These two soulful singers did a terrific tribute to Etta James by singing her tune Sunday Kind of Love. I'm a big fan of both artists, and they pulled it off.


Taylor Swift-Mean
Again, not a fan of that song. But, her delivery of it was great. If I'm correct in my Taylor Swift knowledge, that song was written for a really mean critic who criticized a grammy performance of hers a few years ago. So, it was pretty awesome that she was all "screw you, here I am again bucko". I do wish she had sang Safe and Sound, a terrific beautiful song that will be in the Hunger Games movie out in March. Oh well.

Adele- Rolling in The Deep
And, SHE'S BACK! Adele had about a 4 month hiatus from live singing due to surgery, last night was her debut, and she completely rocked it. She did sound different, I will say, but not in a bad way. She sounded incredible. That, my friends, is how you SANG. I love that she can just go up there and deliver, time and time again, without disgusting lyrics or crazy gimmicks. She just sings. Thank you, Goddess Adele, for giving us the HONOR of hearing that performance.

Jennifer Hudson- I Will Always Love You
Can't imagine the pressure J Hud must have felt paying tribute to Whitney. But she did a stunning job. The way she performed that song was perfect- you could tell she was emotional but it did not control her. It was not over done, it was not a copycat version. Just all J Hud, all beautiful.

Nicki Minaj- Roman Holiday
Here we go. Here was my exact reaction to what was happening:





At first I couldn't wait. I love me some Nicki. I think she's fantastic. Then I started laughing really hard when she was climbing on walls and stuff. Then I was scared. Then angry. I don't understand why she thought that would be a good idea. As I said, I LOVE NICKI. I have a tshirt with her face on it and I'm almost constantly listening to Pink Friday. I get that she has a little British boy alter ego named Roman and that last night was supposed to be his "coming out party". But that mockery of the Catholic church was disgusting. And by the way it wasn't even the exorcism that offended me, it was the whole thing- dancing an an alter, the use of come all ye faithful being used in such a demonic way... JUST RAP NICKI, that's all I ask. We don't need the crazy gimmicks. You don't need to prove that you're bold and creative.I know that you are by your lyrics. I don't need that big of a show, and I definitely don't need my religion being taken over by that crap. Just rap. Thank you.

So, what were your favorite (or least favorite) moments? Dresses you loved?

OH YEAH! here are some of my favorite tweets from the night:

Glozell: Bruno Mars!! MMM MMM I like them little and bite size.
Christa Black: Kelly Clarkson could sing the phone book and I'd buy the album.
Jessica: Adele is about to stunt on everyone's life
Jessica: She said F throat surgery, I'm Adele.
Khloe Kardashian: Mickey Mouse on drugs! Not a good look for him.

2 comments:

Elizabeth Rosalyn said... Add Reply

This is the first Grammy Awards that I can say I thoroughly enjoyed! Mainly because of Adele, Paul McCartney, and the tributes to Whitney and Etta, but I was happy that 2011 (one of my favourite years in music) received such a wonderful celebration!

furmurr said... Add Reply

You left out the best parts of the whole night!
Paul McCartney, the Beach Boys and Glen Campbell.