Tuesday, January 4, 2011

tell me your story. please.

I feel like a parent who just dropped their only child off at college, waiting anxiously to hear from them. Just wanting to know how they are doing out there on their own, exposed to so many new people.

Obviously, I don't have a kid. And if I did, they wouldn't be old enough to go to college...but I just submitted my essay for the Women of Faith contest. I've been working on this baby for several months, pouring my heart and soul into it. It is the most personal piece I have ever written that will now be read by a team of judges. If selected, I will win a publishing deal. But I'm not so worried about winning or not winning. I am extremely proud of myself for taking a leap of faith and entering in the first place. I told my story to the best of my ability. My goal is not to win but to inspire and help someone going through a similar struggle.

So, one of my new years resolutions is to write more. I know that seems kinda weird coming from someone who has a blog, but for the past few months my writing has been put on a back burner, besides the essay. My goal is to fill my song/poetry book by next January. That's 66 pages. Not bad, but it's taken me three years to fill up the first 40 pages or so. SO. I'm going to need your help. My life doesn't provide me with a ton of inspiration. How can you help?

Tell me your story. It can be about pain, joy, love, broken heart. Tell me about your first love. Your kids, your favorite kind of day. What makes you happy, what hurts. Your job, and what it means to you. ANYTHING. I want to hear it. And turn it into something. I can't promise it will be the best thing ever written, but I can promise that I will work hard on your piece. So, I want everyone to read this to submit something. If you don't want to leave a comment you can e-mail me at mcarolin05@gmail.com

I would share the rest of my new years resolutions, but most of them are pretty personal. Just know 2011 is gonna rock.

Love love love.

1 comment:

Shari said... Add Reply

It really is like sending your baby out there into the world, isn't it? You can't help but feel such a complexity of emotions.

So proud of you for doing this. Your essay is beautiful, courageous, touching, and inspiring. It was an honor to read it <3