Monday, October 25, 2010

speak now

Normally, I would wait until all the chaos is over, write a blog about how I got through it. This time is different. I've been faced head on with some obstacles as far as scheduling, time conflicts, promises, etc. It all revolves around work and only some of it is in my hands, the rest is completely out of my control. There's nothing I can really do except take it one step at a time. One day at a time. Breathe and remember it's going to be okay, the world will not end. I need to write about it as it is happening to be able to vent and to truly let my strength shine through. Now, keep in mind this is nothing drastic, but it is stressful. Keep me in your prayers, please.

So, Taylor Swift's album came out today. Don't worry, I won't give you a track by track review. But, I think it's worth talking about. The idea behind the album is powerful itself- Speak Now. Each song is an open confession to a real person in Taylors life- ex boyfriends, enemies, Kanye, etc. The album def shows her maturity and growth as an artist and a songwriter. Taylor is braver than I. She keeps no secrets with this album. From the lyrics to the little hidden messages in the liner notes, she makes it clear who each song is about. In her message to her fans, she says this

"I think the words you stop yourself from saying are the ones that will haunt you the longest. So say it. Or say it to yourself in a mirror. Maybe it will come out in a letter you'll never send or in a book millions might read someday. I think you deserve to look back on your life without a chorus of resounding voices saying 'I could've, but it's too late now.' There is a time for silence. There is a time for waiting your turn. But if you know how you feel, and you so clearly know what you need to say, you'll know it.I don't think you should wait. I think you should speak now. Love, Taylor."

The idea of this is so powerful to me. I so often hold back from saying something in fear of how someone will respond. I can't live in fear. I can't hold it all in. If I'm hurt, I should say so. Confused, ask for help. Scared, reach for a hand. This week I am going to challenge myself to tell all the people in my life who have been there for me through EVERYTHING these past few months...heartbreak, frustration, anxiety, joy, fear, etc..that I love them. I've already put Taylor's "fearless" idea into practice. It's time to speak now. I hope you do that same. You have a voice, and it deserves to be heard. You have a story, you are important.

Love, love, love.

PS- Favorite songs? "Dear John", "Haunted", "Enchanted".

1 comment:

Shari said... Add Reply

I love the whole idea behind this. One of my favorite quotes is by Lucille Ball - "I’d rather regret the things I’ve done than regret the things I haven’t done." Kinda of the same idea ... it's so important to let out our thoughts sometimes instead of keeping them bottled up.

Many good thoughts coming your way. Fingers crossed that all the scheduling works out!