Friday, April 2, 2010

spring break

I'm about to admit something that will probably never be repeated. It's not an April Fool's joke. It's for real. Are you ready?

I saw a Miley Cyrus movie, and I liked it.

I know. Well...it wasn't exactly a "Miley Cyrus" movie. Really, it would be a Julie Anne Robinson movie (the director). Thanks to my roommate Dave for teaching me that. Anyways, Miley Cyrus was the star, and even though I...dislike...that young lady, I really loved the movie. It was different than I expected it to be, and Miley actually really impressed me. Homegirl should stick to acting...and wear clothes that cover her body. You are only 17 years old. Thank you.

So, I'm on spring break. Which means a few different things. It means I can hang out with my parents, go on walks with my dog, watch all kinds of tv, sit outside and read, sleep in my big bed, enjoy my dad's famous tuna melts, etc. For a whole week, I don't have to worry about my kids, serving lunch, managing a classroom, tears, fights, bullying. I can just relax. It also helps that it is 75 degrees. I am so in love with this sunshine!


1] Comment to this entry and I'll ask you five questions.
2] Answer them. Post instructions. Ask questions.

My questions, courtesy of Shari! (Who, by the way, is very close to reaching her dream of writing a book. It's been written, query letters sent out, and now she's just waiting to hear back from an agent! How exciting! She's an incredible writer and I will be first in line to buy her book the day it is released...because I KNOW she's going to get published! Proud of you, Shari!)


1. It's easy to see that this past year has been a life-changing one for you. What's the one main lesson you'll take away from your time at Cristo Rey?

That's tough, because I don't know if I will fully grasp what I have learned until I am finished...maybe not even for a few more years. This experience is going by fast, so I have to remember to take a step back and breathe everything in. As of now, what I've learned is that sometimes the best way to be there for someone is to simply listen, or to cry with them. We can't always understand what they are going through, we can't always give advice...but knowing that we can be there is a great comfort. My kids have taught me that, because not only have I learned to "just be there" for them, they have been there for me. On days when they can tell I'm struggling, some of them will just come up and hug me, or tell the rest of the class "be quiet, ya'll". I've learned that love comes in many forms, and that God's love shines through in the most unique ways.

2. After this year, would you ever consider going the teaching route and staying in that profession?

I wouldn't consider teaching, because my biggest weakness is classroom management. However, I do want to work with teens, which is something I never wanted to do before this experience. I want to work as a counselor or campus ministry, mentoring kids and helping them through their journey. I love when I have a small group of kids in a classroom and teach them about bullying, self esteem, etc, or creative writing. So, while I do not wish to become a full time teacher, I would love to work in a high school.

3. What's your #1 favorite thing about Melinda? (you know I had to include her!)

I think the word "understanding" describes Melinda well. It seems that no matter who she comes in contact with, what their story is, she understands. She always knows just what to say to someone to make them feel better, to motivate them and cheer them on, or to make them laugh. If words fail her, she'll simply use one of her mantra's of "dream big", "baby steps", or "finish strong" and pull them into one of those hugs. Even if she is meeting someone for the first time, she takes their hand and listens to them, nodding her head and listening. She gets it, and she can use her voice to help people know that she understands.

4. You always mention that it seems like Kelly writes songs that completely relate to your life and some of the situations you've been in. If you had to choose just one of her songs that you connect to the most, which would it be?

That's so hard! I mean I'm not kidding when I say that every single song of hers is one that I can relate to. If I had to choose, though, it would be "Maybe" off of My December. I had always felt connected to Kelly and joked that we would be besties if we knew each other, but when I heard that song I was almost in awe of how similar we really are.

5. You've just won a humanitarian award for all the wonderful work you've done for charity and all the time you've spent helping others. Who do you thank in your acceptance speech?

I would thank God for all the opportunities, blessings, and for helping me overcome any challenges, my parents for raising me right and teaching me the importance of serving others, my siblings for leading the way and for inspiring me, all my best friends who have supported me through everything, Melinda Doolittle for teaching me to dream big and to take baby steps.

Happy Good Friday! I'm getting ready to go to St. Hugo to participate in the stations of the cross.

John 3: 16"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."

1 comment:

Shari said... Add Reply

Megan!!

First of all, I cannot begin to tell you how much your kind words about my writing and book just completely made my entire day :) You're always so sweet, supportive, and encouraging, and I'm not exaggerating in the slightest when I tell you that your belief in this never fails to make me smile. Thank you for being such a wonderful friend <3

I LOVED your answers! It's funny, with some people I had to really try hard to think of enough questions to ask, but with you, there were so many that I had to narrow them down! I'm always so interested in hearing your thoughts and opinions that it was tough to just choose five things. I enjoyed reading all your answers :) #1 and #3 are my favorites ... so well-put, as always! And you said you're proud of me? Well that certainly goes both ways! I'm always so impressed by all you do and so proud!!

Happy spring break!! :)