Saturday, April 30, 2011

x-men

I know, I know. I'm behind. I can't promise this will be the most riveting blog post for all of you, but it was my best "X" option without cheating.

X-Men...aka, a large majority of my childhood.

My brother was such your typical little boy- action figures were his THING. We have a video of his 5th or 6th birthday party, where he literally got some kind of action figure for every gift. Either Ghostbusters or Ninja Turtles...then came X-Men. He was obsessed with those things, the comic, the cartoon tv show, the video games, and, later in life, the movies. He knew everything about every single character. We played with his X-men action figures for hours. He taught me about the "Bad guys" and the "good guys", their powers, everything. He was like a walking X-Men Encyclopedia. His favorites were Wolverine and Gambit. Mine were Storm and Jubilee (Can I just say Jubilee is so much more BA than the movies make her seem). We were unstoppable with our X-Men obsession. I loved hanging out with my brother. We always had the best time.

My brother has lived in Indianapolis since he was 18, when he went away to college. I miss him dearly, but there is something still so special about our relationship. We protect each other. He can still teach me about the "good guys" vs the "bad guys". He likes to annoy me, only because that is his role as a brother. (He sends me clown pictures whenever he gets the chance). But we understand each other. And I know, if the X-Men movie is on TV, I can call him and say "GO TO CHANNEL ...". He will, and we'll both smile, remembering.

Long live X-Men.

1 comment:

furmurr said... Add Reply

He was only in third grade at that birthday party. The memories of you two always together brings me to tears.