Friday, April 8, 2011

God Loves Ugly- Christa Black

Book Review: God Loves Ugly, Christa Black.

I first became familiar with Christa Black in November of 2007, when Jordin Sparks debut album was released. I was a fan of Jordin, and took time to put her album in and listen carefully to each track. When I got to the song titled "God Loves Ugly", I was overcome with emotion. The words touched my heart. I quickly grabbed the CD inset to find out who wrote the song- and read the name Christa Black. I logged onto myspace to find out more about Christa, and when I found her page, I found it was full of compassion and inspiration. I followed her ever since, discovering her incredible writing abilities and the way she related to young women, giving them hope. Most people know of Christa through her work with the Jonas Brothers, as a member of their band on a world tour. During that tour, Christa began writing blogs that touched on topics such as self esteem, eating disorders, faith in God, etc. Those blogs turned into a book, appropriately titled after the life changing song, God Loves Ugly.

Within just the first couple pages of God Loves Ugly, I was completely taken aback by the truth and wisdom in Christa’s writing. So much so, in fact, that I often had to put the book down and take a break. By the middle of the book, I almost didn’t pick it back up again. I wasn’t sure I was ready to hear what I had been shushing all these years. Thankfully, I picked it back up, kept reading, and kept learning about myself. Christa’s writing is not only beautiful, but honest and daring. She shared her story, intertwined with snippets of advice and encouragement. It takes a strong person to be able to pour her heart out the way that Christa did in this book. She did it with grace. Through her stories, her struggle with eating disorders (both a food addiction and bulimia), struggling to fit in, and discovering that she was truly worthy of love, I have found a new hope. The book is relatable, inspiring, and gives hope to all those suffering any form of addiction of self hate that freedom is waiting for them.

I really believe every woman should read this book. While it is aimed at young women and teenagers, everyone will be able to relate to the stories and testimonies. The book will change the way you view yourself, not only with Christa's words of advice and inspiration but the helpful "your turn" section at each end of the chapter, where Christa encourages you to ask the questions that are in the way of finding freedom. I'm not sure that I have ever read a book so hopeful and honest, so invested in its readers and truly wanting them to better themselves and to realize their worth.

Do not be afraid to read this book. I can promise you, it will help you through your struggles. You are loved.

No comments: