Thursday, April 21, 2011

Reality.

This is the true story. Of one girl, hired for her first full time job. Find out what happens when her life turns around, and starts getting real. The Real World: Megan.

All this week, I have been training for my new job. (For those who don't know, I was recently hired as a volunteer coordinator for a hospice. My job is to recruit, retain, and recognize volunteers to be companions for our patients. In a nutshell). This is not only my new job, but my first real job. 9-5. Salary. Benefits. AKA, reality. No more volunteering, no more part time hours. It really hit me when I received my work cell phone yesterday, as well as my badge. I'm in the real world. I was so excited I texted some of my family/friends. I got this back from my brother in law, Dave.

"Welcome to no vacation, no pay, and long hours".

Gee. Thanks, Dave. That's quite a welcome. I know I'll love my job, but I alos know he's right. Reality. I'm ecstatic. I've been waiting for this for a few years. It's slightly terrifying, I'll admit. This week I have been slammed with information. Each day I brought home a new huge pile of papers to read through. And I haven't even really started yet! I've learned about the company, the roles within the company, the policies of the company. After a few more days of training and shadowing others with my position, I'll be plopped into my office, they will cut the chord. Time to work.

This is a complete transition from the life I was living a few weeks ago. I went from chasing four little kids around a house, steaming green beans and picking up a playroom to sitting in meetings all day and learning how to evaluate patients and volunteers. Like I said, I'm excited. The team has been more than welcoming, I am learning and taking in all kinds of information. I have ideas, millions of questions, and enthusiasm. I'm growing up. Making and saving my own, hard earned money. I'm adapting this whole new lifestyle. This week I worked out a work out plan that I will adhere to, forcing myself to go straight to the gym after work 3-4 days a week.

Please keep me in your prayers as I begin this new chapter in my life. I'm sure I'll be a little bit of a mess these first few weeks as I tiptoe around and try to figure things out, but also hit the ground running on some of the projects I have in mind.

Reality...I'm ready for ya.

1 comment:

Shari said... Add Reply

You are going to do an AMAZING job. Your compassion for others and your passion for helping them ... that's a gift. I look forward to hearing all about the difference you'll continue to make in the world as you start this new journey :)