Friday, April 1, 2011

A to Z Challenge, Day 1.

I'm entering the A-Z Challenge (details here- http://tossingitout.blogspot.com/2011/01/very-special-and-exciting-announcement.html?spref=bl). Basically, for each day in April, (with the exception of Sundays), you make a post about any topic of your choosing, in order of the alphabet. I'll probably throw in music and book reviews if they fit in appropriately.


Anchor. Most people think…

a heavy device dropped by a chain, cable, or rope to the bottom of a body of water for restraining the motion of avessel or other floating object.

Or, perhaps…
a person or thing that can be relied on for support, stability, or security; mainstay.

When I think Anchor, I think Delta Gamma, who adopted the anchor as the symbol for hope. I think pink and blue, bigs and littles, rush and frat parties, candles and initiation, I think “Anchored Always”.

To say being a member of DG Epsilon Rho was a rollercoaster is the understatement of the year. And you could say we were the opposite of an anchor, because we weren’t holding it together, but I would disagree. Yes, w had our faults. Yes, I’m still bitter and honestly, a little confused. But I’m also proud. Proud of the handful of us who fought with all of our might to keep us together. Those girls were my anchor, my hope. I love them, despite the fights and petty drama and heartbreak. I still doodle anchors on notebook and journals can spot them from miles away. By the time we closed, we were all so emotionally drained that none of us bothered to keep up an “alum chapter”. We felt defeated, there was no fight left. I knew I personally could not spend one more night crying about what could have been. It was time to put that in the past, for all of us. I wish we could have survived. I wish every member had been as enthusiastic about the chapter as some of us were. I wish people paid and showed up and got good grades. But they didn’t, and nothing could have changed that. People don’t understand that, but there was no way that we could have kept going. Call that pessimistic but until you have stepped foot in that house between 2005-2008, you have no idea. But it wasn't all hard times and drama. Some of my greatest college memories come from DG. Lik driving all night to Grand Rapids or getting stuck in Texas or, most importantly, finding my best friend Sam, and proudly declaring her as "my future bff" at a frat party. Turns out, I was right.

Unfortunately, most of us did not stay friends once we were closed. Everyone stuck to their cliques. I found my best friend in DG, which I will be forever grateful for.
I will always see an anchor and think Delta Gamma. I think hope, I’ll think fight (in more ways than one, ha). I’ll think of my big sister Megan and my little sister Lindsey. I’ll think of Greek Week, Recruitment, AnchorSplash, t-shirts in the basement, rec volleyball. I’ll think of Sam, Jess, Mary, Fitz, Lyndsey, Kerry, Afty (Who…I realized, as typing her name, I miss the #$%^ out of). Jordan, Rachel, Margo, All 20993 Ashley’s, Jen, Dana, Jeanette, Marisa, Betsy, Elise, LeDuc, Alyssa, Caitlin, Becky, Natasha, and everyone else. I hope they know…no matter what; I will always be here for them. We won’t ever be what we were before, but, in a way, that’s probably for the best. Cheesy? Yes. Truth? Absolutely. I have put the past behind me. Thanks, girls, for the laughs. Thank you for fighting.

Anchored Always.

Photobucket

No comments: