Monday, October 28, 2013

Posting Too Much?

Once in a while, someone tells me I post too much on the internet. It doesn't happen often, but it has happened. There are a lot of social media outlets out there, and I admit I use a lot of them. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Tumblr, and this blog. Facebook and this blog are my two mains squeezes. And that's where I've gotten some criticism.

Once someone said I post too much about my diet and my weight loss journey. And someone else said I've been posting too much about my dad.

And maybe those things are true.

But you don't have to read what I write. One of the most glorious parts of social media is that you can "unfollow" me at any time, and I really won't be offended. So instead of making it a point to tell me I post too much, just stop reading.

Listen, I don't post things for likes and comments or to get a big reaction out of anyone. That may be the motive behind a lot of posts, but not mine. I'll admit, it's nice to get them (I'm a Leo. We like that)....but it's not why I post.

I post because my main goal while am on this earth is to help other people. I've been through and seen a lot of stuff. Probably more than most people my age. I've heard a lot of stories and I've spent time with many, many different kinds of people. From juvenile delinquents to 100 year old hospice patients. And I believe that my experiences can help people. Maybe that also sounds full of myself, and if it does, I apologize. That is not my intent.

It is my hope that something I post will help someone else. That's what keeps me going and that's why I keep doing it. Not every post is going to be inspirational and sometimes I whine too much. But when I can help someone else, it makes it all worth it.

The tricky thing is mixing social media and real life.  I am a very real person. I post what I feel. I post what I do. I'm also "facebook friends" with a lot of coworkers, former students, youth group kids, family members, etc. So I'm careful. Sometimes I slip, especially when going through trauma's, but I try to be as positive and real as possible. And I guess it'd be a little more offensive if one of my real life friends "unfollowed" me. It would hurt a little more. But at the same time, if someone cannot stand by me, even if they disagree with me, then they aren't really my friend. It's a tough lesson to learn, but it's the truth. Friends are your friends no matter what. They can disagree and get upset with you, but they don't leave you, especially if they leave you when you need them the most.

I am not, nor will I ever be, a "famous blogger". That's not my intent. I just aim to bring a little love to my friends, family, and community.


5 comments:

Elizabeth Rosalyn said... Add Reply

I don't think it's anyone's place to tell a person how or what they should post. A blog or a social media account is your space, and you are free to say what you like. Keep on being real and sharing your stories! We're listening. :)

Lizz said... Add Reply

Hey, I for one read your blog when I can and I love seeing you on social media. I do believe this might be an introvert/extrovert conflict... The person who said this probably leads a very private life, and that's okay too, but it's not their place to try to make you hold yourself back. Also, I find posting things makes me feel accountable for them (Weight loss Wednesday).... And about your Dad, sometimes it's better to say something once via facebook then 30 times in person or text messaging. Anyways sorry I have been upset a little by this

Shari said... Add Reply

I agree with the others - they are YOUR social media accounts, which means you're free to post whenever and whatever you want to. Anyone who cares about you will understand that. I, for one, always look forward to your posts -- your blog is among my very favorites and your words of wisdom have helped me on many occasions. I've said it before, but it's worth repeating: thank you for that! :)

Kate @ Another Clean Slate said... Add Reply

I don't understand people who make comments like that. You read the blog for you so YOU can write about whatever you want, however much you want. Geez...

Dee @ A Deecoded Life said... Add Reply

You're so right, if people don't want to read what you have to say, they can always unfollow you! Those are your accounts so you have every right to post whatever you want!