Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Tuesday Tunes: Sara Bareilles

If you haven't sat and listened to a Sara Bareilles (why is her last name so hard to spell?) album in it's entirety, you are seriously cheating your ears out of a treat.

Sara is incredible. Both her eloquent lyrics and powerful vocals make her an outstanding artist. Plus, she's kind of geeky and goofy, and always speaks her mind and has a bit of a potty mouth. I've always related to her because many of her songs touch on the topic of anxiety and fear. I appreciate that she can put those feelings into words and song.

Her latest album, "The Blessed Unrest", has been highly anticipated by fans. It dropped today, and it is just what I wanted from her. More stories through music. That is where she excels. A good song is one that makes you think and one that stays on your mind for a while. This album is full of those tracks.

Here are my four favorites. I hope you enjoy.

Manhattan- This is a deeply heartbreaking song that is clearly about a break up. Perhaps the love started and blossomed in this city, because Sara sings that she is going to give Manhattan back to that person, since she can't have them anymore or that relationship.



Little Black Dress- This tune has a similar sound to some of Sara's past singles, with just a touch more jazz. I could see it hitting radio waves. It's another one of her "screw you, don't tell me what to do" songs that she does so well.



I Choose You- This is such a sweet love song. When I was reading the lyrics I literally said "aww" out loud. I hope I feel this way someday. That's my wish.



December- Kind of a downer of a song, but I relate to it so much that I had to share it. December is clearly a rough month for Sara. Maybe brings back painful memories or maybe the cold and dark are hard to get through. I definitely feel her on that, except that my month is April.

2 comments:

Shari said... Add Reply

I didn't know she had a new album! I'll have to check it out. Thanks for letting me know! :)

Elizabeth Rosalyn said... Add Reply

Sara is a mad talented musician! I'm digging "Little Black Dress" the most so far :)