Sunday, July 14, 2013

RIP Cory.

I consider myself a big Glee fan. I rarely, if ever, miss an episode. I know all the story lines, who has dated who, the friendships, the performances and songs. I know each actor's name in real life and a little bit about each of them. I follow pretty much every cast member from seasons 1-3 on twitter. I own seasons 1 and 2 on dvd. I love Glee.

Finn is a lovable character because he's so goofy and awkward. He wants whats best for people but doesn't always have the best way of expressing it- over time we saw him get better at that. He wears his heart on his sleeve. Off screen, Cory Monteith was a charmer. He was always smiling and joking around, he did not hesitate to show his love for his girlfriend and fellow cast mate Lea Michelle. He was just as goofy.

Those of us in the Glee fandom knew of Cory's issues with drugs and alcohol as a teen, and we knew that he was in rehab earlier this year for the same issues.

But I don't think one of us expected to wake up today and read the headlines that Cory was found dead in his hotel room due to a drug overdose.

This is one of the only celebrity deaths to really shake me up. Like, I almost threw up. I don't know if it's because I saw his face on my tv screen every Thursday for four years or if it's the nature of his death, but I am absolutely devastated over this loss.It saddens me that Cory's soul was so tortured, and yet he seemed so happy. It just shows you that you never know what people are going through. I know that he does not have to fight those battles anymore, but I sure wish it didn't have to end like this.

Millions of people across the world looked up to him. Maybe that's why it hurts. Knowing how real Glee is for so many of us. It's a show that gave us hope, and Cory was a huge part of that. He was part of the Glee family.

My heart hurts for Lea, for Cory's family and friends and fellow cast mates. By the looks of twitter, it is obvious the impact he made on other celebrities lives. He was, truly, a wonderful young man.

I also break for the young fans. I'm almost 26 years old and extremely shaken up and saddened over this loss, I cannot imagine the pain and confusion of the teens. If I could, I'd invite every Glee fan over to my house so that we could all hug each other. I hope those kids know- you'll be okay. I promise. Glee lost a family member, and you lost someone you love and admire, but you will be okay.


Glee fans, <3 and="" believing.="" don="" hugs.="" p="" stop="" t="">Glee cast, all my prayers to you as your grieve the lost of your friend and "brother".
Lea, I have no words other than all the love in the world is being sent out to you today.
Cory, you really were a beautiful person. May you rest in peace. Thank you for your bravery.


3 comments:

Dee @ A Deecoded Life said... Add Reply

I cried for him too. I also wrote a blog about him. He wasn't my favorite actor in Glee but I did like Finn. He was someone people looked up to because he was a good leader and motivator. He will be missed.

Kellie @ Delightfully Ludicrous said... Add Reply

It's such a horrible thing to happen, but at least he went out fighting. He was trying to recover, which makes him a battler in my books.

Elizabeth Rosalyn said... Add Reply

This is a very touching tribute to a great man. Cory has left quite the remarkable legacy on all of us. <3