Sunday, June 3, 2012

rent

I had a jam packed weekend so I was happy to spend my evening sitting on the couch watching tv. First it was the Adele special on Dateline. Then I wasted about 20 minutes of my life watching the MTV Movie Awards. But my brain kept saying "dude, you're better than this". And, to quote my friend Betsy, "it's a bigger mess than a Delta Gamma formal." (She said this about the mtv movie awards in 2007 and it remains one of my favorite comparisons to use). Anyways, I got sick of hearing Russell Brand's voice so I grabbed the remote- and found Rent.

Instantly my heart and ears were happy. Rent is one of my favorite things about this world. Not only is it a beautifully written story with an amazing cast, and outstanding music, but it brings me right back to my 16 year old self. (Before the movie came out, I should note) Driving around with my friends, singing along to the soundtrack. Quoting it in school, yelling things like "NO DAY BUT TODAY" (so much cooler than yolo) at each other down the hallways of Mercy. sleeepovers, parties, pretty much everything we did, Rent was a part of it. I also very vividly remember when the movie came out. I saw it with two of my high school friends. We cried the entire time.

Once I was with another group of people and someone said "for whatever reason, we were all destined to cross each other's paths". That's how I feel about my high school buddies. We don't talk much anymore, but for a few good years we were all each other had. And I could not have asked for a better group of friends who understood me, accepted me, and loved me. I still think about them. Maybe not all of them, and not every day. But once in a while, I'll just sit and think "damn, that was a good time".

So...to Leanne, Kaits, Shannon, Brie, Mary, MKB,  Ruth, Liz, Amy, J Bizz, Meg Mal, Meghan, Staci, Heather, Will, Perky, Carlotta, Sam, Sarah, Smitty, Melissa, and everybody else that I forgot but still love, I hope you're well and happy. And I hope you still live life with no regrets. No Day but today.

No comments: