Thursday, January 31, 2013

3 Months.

Dear Ryan,
You are THREE stinking months old! Growing up so fast, my little guy!

January 2013 has been a little strange for your Aunt Megan. There's a lot going on in my life. I was very sick for about three weeks- it made me tired, worn out, and even just a little sad. It took a while to feel 100% healthy. Thankfully, I feel good now. The worst part was that I barely got to see you this month. I didn't want to pass my germs into your little hands, so I stayed away. And I really missed you. I'll make up for it in February, I promise. When I did see you, my little Ryan, it made me feel so much better.

You're growing up. You're getting bigger, you're smiling more, making more noises, kicking your feet. It's a beautiful sight to watch you. I can hardly wait until you start to talk. I'd love to know what goes through your mind.

Once again I will remind you- we all love you so much. Your mommy went back to work for the first time since you were born yesterday, and I know it must have been hard for her to leave you. She loves spending her days with you. But you are in good hands, and we all pitch in to help...and spoil you a little bit.

I had a hard time coming up with "advice" for this letter, but then I came across some words written by my good friend Jena. And I wanted to share those words with you.


I've always been a person who wants to help others. But sometimes, in my life as a blind person, I'd see the problems around me, want to fix things for others, and think, "Oh but I can't drive this person here, sort these cans of food for the homeless, move around in an unfamiliar environment," etc., just fill in the blank. Often, I would feel like the best way for me to "help" would be to stay out of the way. I imagined that I had nothing to contribute to the betterment of this world. I was 100% totally and completely focused on the WRONG THINGS! This powerful message, again from Joyce Meyer, just gave me some perspective. "Don't let what you DON'T have stop you from giving what you DO have. Don't let what you CANNOT DO stop you from doing what you CAN do. Be a blessing." Over the last six weeks or so, my prayers have changed, and one of the things I say when I wake up is, "God, help me to be a blessing to people today, however You want to make that happen." I have seen remarkable things happen, just through the power of my words and my writing, even here on Facebook. So I share this, because I want you to remember that God made you unique, He made you exactly how He wants you to be. Even if you look at people who have more resources, more talents, more everything, know that you are a vital part of this world, and there are things here that only YOU can do, with the blend of talents, strengths, weaknesses, and quirks that only YOU possess. You CAN do something, even if it isn't the "big thing" that you wish you could accomplish. Everyone can give a smile, or a kind word. Everyone can go out of their way to be courteous. And that one small act of kindness may be the thing that changes someone else's life. So give whatever you have to give, and be blessed!

I think Jena's words about sum it up, Ryan. She said it perfectly. Focus on the positive. Be kind to others. Those are the important things in life.

Sunday is your Baptism. I know you may not realize the value of this day until you are much older, but it is so special for our family to gather and celebrate you. Your baptism proclaims that you are loved by God, and that you belong to God, as a child and son. How cool is that? What's even cooler is that you are UNIQUE. You were given gifts and abilities that will allow you to make a difference in this world. I can't wait to watch as you discover these gifts, and use them.

I love you, Ryan!


No comments: