Tuesday, January 1, 2013

it's gonna be a happy new year

I've got high hopes for 2013. I'm not sure why, but suddenly I'm one of those pretty hopeful optimistic people who thinks that this year really is going to be amazing.

Statistically odd years are better for me. I was born in 87; graduated from high school in 2005; college in 2009; landed my first real job in 2011. It seems I hit milestones and major events on the odd years. So call me crazy (or call me, maybe) but I actually think 2013 has a lot in store for me. I guess we won't know until this time next year, right?

I know I've already done a reflection on 2012. You read about my favorite moments, tweets, movies, and songs. But what I haven't said, or really admitted to many people, is how much I've seen myself grow in a year. I am a different person than I was last year at this time. A completely different person at that.  I am stronger and I am bolder. I talked on a popular morning radio show for 4 minutes. Old Megan would have ran and hid from that opportunity, but I took it and nailed it. I've stood up for myself numerous times in situations where I normally would have held back and let someone else do the talking. I am really proud of myself for making a commitment to becoming an associate to the Sisters of Mercy. I volunteer for a cancer outreach center and volunteer to co-lead my youth group even though I barely ever have time for myself- I am much more fueled and energized by giving back to other people than I am by lounging around by myself. I don't mean to toot my own horn here, but in reflecting on the year I think it's super important to note how much you have grown.

That being said, bring on 2013.  I love a fresh slate, the idea of hope and possibility, looking forward to the future.I can't say I have anything terribly exciting happening that I am sure about, aside from the fact that one of my best friends is moving into my house in a month, but I can say I am going to do my damn best to be happy and to treat everyone around me with kindness, love, and compassion.

I love all of you with all my heart. I sincerely hope that 2013 is good to you.

No comments: