Saturday, March 20, 2010

keep faith

I'm going to need you all to do a few things for me.

1) Rent and watch Up in the Air. I've wanted to see it since it first came out, but I didn't get a chance in my movie watching frenzy over Christmas break. I am so glad that Dave got it from Netflix, because it is an amazing movie. Depressing, but amazing. I strongly suggest it. I was surprised at how well Anna Kendrick did in this film, since I just know her as Bella's ditzy friend in Twilight. She was great, though, as was Mr. Handsom George Clooney.

"If you think about it, your favorite memories, the most important moments in your life... were you alone? Life's better with company."

2) Read the book The Help. It was included on my long (about 50) books I want to read, and I'm lucky that was at the Bowen Branch Library, my first stop of Detroit Library branches. It is one of the best books I have ever read. I started it Thursday morning and was finished by this evening. It's intriguing, creative, heart warming, heart breaking, amazing. It was one of those books that makes me even more passionate about writing. The author took a risk, and it worked. I don't know what you're waiting for. Go read it.

"If I start praying for Miss Skeeter, I know that conversation gone continue the next time I see her. And the next and the next. Cuz that's the way prayer do. It's like electricity, it keeps things going."

"My real dream was that one day I would write something that people would actually want to read".

"For a minute, we're just two people wondering why things are the way they are".

"She can take the most complicated things in life and wrap them up so small and simple, they'll fit right into your pocket".

"We are just two people. Not that much separates us. Not nearly as much as I'd thought".

3) Watch this video. My good friend Dean Simmer posted it on his blog. It's quite moving. Check it out. You will be touched.

BIRTHRIGHT from Sean Mullens on Vimeo.



Now that we have that taken care of...

I had a pretty good week. The sun was shining, which is good. Students made me laugh, made me cry, made me want to quit, made me want to stay at Cristo Rey forever. Typical week :) This weekend has been quiet, which is nice. Tomorrow I'm taking a couple students to go see Annie at Mercy and get a tour of their theater department. I'm excited! We have so many talented kids at our school who are very interested in theatre, but we don't have the resources for that just yet. Other than that, I'm just sitting here watching March fly by, getting excited for Spring Break and Nashville, and applying to jobs.


Of course, this wouldn't be a post without some music talk.

♫ List seven songs you are into right now. No matter what the genre, whether they have words, or even if they're not any good, but they must be songs you're really enjoying now.

1st song: Telephone- Lady Gaga. I know, big surprise there. I can't help it! I just fall in love with every single song of hers. I won't post the music video (heh), but here is the song.



2nd song: Our Song- Spill Canvas. They have been releasing new music like crazy in preparation for their spring tour. This is the latest. I don't think there is ONE song of theirs that I dislike.



3rd song: Opportunity- Pete Murray. I kind of stumbled on this song, and I'm so glad I did. It relates to what I'm going through right now.



4th song: God Speaking- Mandisa. Even though I've heard this song a thousand times, it recently spoke to me in a BIG way.



5th song: I Won't Disagree- Kate Voegle. I adore her. I just found out she's opening for Jordin Sparks this spring...I'm mad at both of them for not coming to Detroit. I would love to see them both again.



6th song: Keep Faith- Matt Wertz. Another song that has given me comfort in my times of feeling overwhelmed.



7th song: Meaning- Gavin DeGraw. My favorite Gavin song changes almost every week. I've fallen in love with this one.

No comments: