Sunday, May 12, 2013

Colorful weekend

Note: Thank you to all who read and commented on my last post. It was an issue that hit home, and I had to speak out about it. I don't stand for bullying. That's really what the Abercrombie issue is all about. I could care less what sizes they carry, but the bullying is not okay.

Friends...this was a beautiful and colorful weekend.

I am low on funds right now, so I made quite sure to not spend a penny during the week and saved up all my cash for the weekend.  I knew it was going to be a big weekend. Luckily we had already paid for most of the things we did, so I really didn't spend much. This is the life of a 20 something, ya'll.

Friday we celebrated Lauren's birthday. Lauren is one of my two roommates and also one of my best friends. I met her six years ago through a mutual friend at a party. We hit it off right away and soon she was hanging out with Sam and I all the time. We became so close, in fact, that Lauren and I lived together the next year, along with our friend Jess. We've remained friends and live together now, too, along with Sam. It's like everything came full circle. Lauren is the funniest person I know. She can talk to anyone, she isn't afraid to be herself, she says what's on her mind. She's brave, she takes charge. She cares about people and will drop anything to help her friends. She's in love with the game of golf and with Justin Timberlake.

The three of us (Sam, Lauren, and I) had dinner at Champps, and then we saw The Great Gatsby. I've been anxiously awaiting this movie to come out. It is one of my all time favorite books. I saw the original movie in high school. I wasn't quite sure what to expect with the 2013 release. I can't compare it with the book, because if I do that, it's not nearly as good. So I will say that as a movie on it's own, it's incredible. The camerawork and creativity in the costumes and set design is outstanding. The soundtrack is flawless. The actors were wonderful. It's captivating  Lauren and Sam did not know the story and the movie kept their interest for the entire 2.5 hours. It's worth seeing, that's for sure.

It was a fun night out with my gals. I am so happy to be living with my two best friends and creating such precious memories. There are many more to come.

Saturday morning came early. Sam and I were up at 5:30 to get ready for the Color Run. We did the color run last year on my birthday, so I sort of knew what to expect. Sam's friend Patrick picked us up and we made the trek to Ypsilanti. We were there in plenty of time, which is a blessing because we were closer to the starting line. 15,000 people participated in that 5k yesterday, and they were releasing us from the starting line in wave of 1,000. So it was a relief to be some of the first.

The Color Run advertises itself as the "Happiest 5k on the planet" and it really, truly is. If you're gonna do a 5k, choose the color run. As you run/walk the course, there are stations where volunteers throw colored corn starch on you. The goal is to get as colored as possible. Everyone has a smile on their face as they make their way through the color stations. Music is blaring. Little kids giggle and tag along their parents. It is so fun you forget that you're running 3 miles.

The best part about the color run is the finish line. When I crossed I made my way through the crowd and found my friends. We headed to the stage area where runners are gathered with extra color packets. After a countdown, everyone throws their color packets into the air, creating this incredible dusty rainbow. That is when you get the most colored. We stayed there for about an hour, going through the "Color blast" three times.

Here is a picture of myself, Sam, and our friend Julie, all colored.


When we decided we were colored enough, we headed home. Sam and I took turns showering to get the color off our skin and hair. It comes off pretty easily, although blue seems to be the toughest. I still have blue on my feet and legs. Then we settled in for some nice long naps.

That night, Sam, Lauren, our friend Krystin, and I headed downtown for the Tiger's game. We met up with some other friends there, as well. It was freezing. It's not supposed to be that cold in May, but we were huddled up under hoodies, fleece jackets, and blankets, and we were still freezing. The Tigers were not playing very well, but we had fun anyways. It was Sam's first Tigers game. We cheered for our boys and people watched. Made friends with a Steve Carrell look a like. Laughed a lot.

We left in inning 6, when the Tigers were down 4-1. We very, very quickly walked back to our car. When we got there I noticed that the parking lot attendant was the same was when we pulled in. She must have been freezing, sitting there in the dark and cold. I had some extra hand warmers in my pocket, so I gave them to her. I hope they did her some good.

This is Lauren, myself, and Sam at the game



After we left, we went to our favorite coney island to grab some food since our food/sleep schedule had been so off. Then we headed back home to sip on some wine and settle in. We laughed so hard, just making silly jokes and sharing stories and pictures. I laughed so hard my face hurt. My ears burned. Just thinking about it now makes me laugh again. I love those nights. I love these friends.

Today, of course, is Mother's Day. I know we should celebrate moms all year, but I like having a special day to spoil them. I've been blessed with a wonderful mother. Here's what I wrote earlier on facebook about her:

My mom is the first person I want to talk to when I have a bad day. She is full of wisdom and humor. She understands my anxieties and calms my fears. She loves her children ans grandson and each and every student that she has taught. She wants nothing but the best for all of us. She's a Notre Dame fanatic. She cares deeply. She is a friend to many, often a rock for those in need. She's her mothers daughter. She is passionate. She is the very best.

I meant every word of that. My mom is a 2nd grade teacher (and has been for many years). The love and passion she gives out to those students and families is absolutely beautiful. I have witnessed, again and again, people coming to her in need of support and my mom so willingly lending out that support. She is one of my best friends and an amazing woman.

To celebrate today, we had a family brunch at my sister's house. This is my sister's very first mother's day, and she hosted a lovely brunch. It's wonderful to witness my sister as a mother, learning about her little boy and growing each day. She already is a great mom, and I know she will only continue to be the best mom to little Ryan. He's one lucky dude.

And now, it is Sunday evening and for the first time all weekend I don't have anywhere I have to be until tomorrow morning. My bones hurt, my muscles ache, my cheeks are wind burnt, and my eyes are heavy. But my heart is full. I loved this weekend. I love the people in my life, and I love my life.

5 comments:

Shari said... Add Reply

What a lovely weekend! So glad you had such a terrific time! :)

Dee @ A Deecoded Life said... Add Reply

What a very colorful weekend indeed! It's my first time to hear about the color run and it seems like a fun and interesting marathon! It's cool that you got to participate.

Sweet description of your mom. Happy mother's day to her. :)

Kinley Dane said... Add Reply

Great weekend! I want to do a color run. I was going to sign up for the Ypsi one, but they were closed to registration when we tried. I am thinking of doing the one in Grand Rapids in August. They just look so much fun.

Happy Mother's day to your special momma :)

Rob-bear said... Add Reply

Note to self from Bear: This young woman knows how to pack more fun into one weekend that I have ever herd of! (You wear me out just reading our story!)

Glad you had a great time.

Blessings and Bear hugs!
Bears Noting
Life in the Urban Forest (poetry)

Elizabeth Rosalyn said... Add Reply

The Color Run sounds amazing! Glad you had a fun time this weekend with family and friends :D