Monday, December 10, 2012

the Christmas spirit

I am totally not in the Christmas spirit this year. Which is totally out of character for me. Totally. I just can't bring myself to be cheery and spirited and full of sparkle and snowflakes. I almost smashed my phone in when our work radio station switched to Christmas music. I haven't even watched Elf yet. Or made cookies. Or sent out my Christmas cards. I had to pretty much force myself to buy them today.

My question was WHY. I love Christmas! I have a brand new little nephew who is going to be celebrating his very first Christmas. That in itself should be enough. Why am I so anti-holiday this year?

I had a breakthrough. I realized- I am focusing too much on what I don't have. I worry I don't have enough money to give decent gifts out, I don't have a family of my own or a special someone to share the holidays with.  We don't have any sunlight and haven't for days. I don't have any energy. I don't have enough time. I really really just want an acoustic guitar, but I know that's not happening. 

As soon as I realized I was focusing too much on the things I DON'T have, I began to gain a little more cheer. It's not about what we don't have. It is about celebrating what we do have. I have my health. I have my family and my friends. I have God's love. I have the ability to serve others and to make their day a little brighter. I AM blessed. And darn it, I'm gonna be grateful for it and spread Christmas cheer.

So my two part challenge to myself and to all of you this Christmas: Stop worrying about what you are lacking and enjoy what you have. Maybe you won't get an Ipad this year. It's gonna be okay. Spend time with people that you love, and if you live away from your family and can't afford to go home, write them a letter about how much you love and miss them. Second challenge? Serve others. I don't mean you have to donate all your money, we all know many of us are strapped financially. But participate in a service project at your church or go feed the homeless- and then make a commitment to keep doing that, monthly. The no time thing is not really an excuse for any of us- most organizations will take your help, even if it's just an hour a month. You can set aside an hour a month to serve someone else. Me? I'm going to volunteer at Gilda's Club holiday party (I volunteer there once a month), encourage our youth group kids to pull off a huge service project, and spend some extra time with our hospice patients who don't have any family left. 

Now, I'm going to write my Christmas cards. Totally.

Hugs and Kisses.


2 comments:

Anonymous said... Add Reply

What i do not understood is if truth be told how you're no longer actually much more well-appreciated than you may be now. You are very intelligent. You understand therefore considerably in terms of this topic, produced me individually consider it from numerous numerous angles. Its like women and men are not involved unless it is something to accomplish with Woman gaga! Your individual stuffs great. All the time deal with it up!

Also visit my homepage - buy facebook likes cheap

Unknown said... Add Reply

Robinetterie - Découvrez toutes les collections Jacob Delafon. Pour votre salle de bain et votre cuisine, trouvez le robinet adapté grace à Jacob Delafon.http://www.robinetso.fr/8-robinet-bain