Friday, December 14, 2012

newtown tragedy.

There are a lot of people trying to make sense of today's tragedy. Going through the details, piece by piece. The timeline. The pictures.

I can't do that. I don't even know all the details. Just some numbers. The shooter was 24. 27 people are dead. 20 of them are children.

That's all I really need to know to feel this affected, this broken. I'm not sure what urged me to write this blog, or what it will really entail, I just had to say something.

The Victims.
Stating the obvious...their lives were cut short, tragically. No one should go like that, ever. I have this image of Jesus hugging the kids so tightly, wiping tears from their eyes and telling them they don't have to be afraid anymore. They are angels now, and they will protect other children.

The Survivors/Witnesses
They will never be the same. Memories of this day will be stuck in their minds forever. And it won't be easy. My prayer for the sweet kids AND adults who witnessed this tragedy is that they are somehow able to heal from the pain. That something will keep them going, even on the hardest days. For the teachers who did their absolute best to comfort their students during the tragedy, God bless you. You are heroes. I'm not going to tell you to stay strong because I know right now that seems impossible. I will just pray that you find strength, find hope, find peace.

The Families of the Victims
My words won't mean much but I am so, deeply sorry, and if I could take away the pain and loss that you are feeling and bring back your loved ones, I would. I am sending you all the hugs and prayers that I can muster.

The Rest of Us
We cannot argue over gun laws right now. I have my opinion, and so do you. But fighting over it and spreading hate is not going to solve anything. Stand up for what you believe in without bringing someone else down. The people of Newtown need our prayers, not our nasty comments toward one another. We have to stand together, stand up for each other and be a shoulder to lean on during these hard times. We must teach our children that there is still good in the world and that love conquers hate.

My St. Hugo Family
I could not help but think of you guys immediately after hearing the news. I want you to know how appreciated you are- the kids, the staff, and the parents. You are treasured and you are loved.




No comments: