Sunday, July 8, 2012

compare and contrast.

First of all I just want to thank everyone read and shared my last blog. At 92 views it was one of my most read entries, and although I'm not quite sure how that happened, I thank you.

 I wanted to talk about comparison, and how it can be deadly. We are constantly trying to get ahead of one another, win the race, own the spotlight, be the best. It's exhausting, unnecessary, and unhealthy. We base success off of the people around us, what they are doing, how we measure up to them.

Social media like facebook and twitter makes this so easy. I know I'm not alone in this: how many of you have read a facebook status or looked at a picture and thought something like "I wish I could look like that". Or "Or there goes so and so again, getting everything they want". Or, the other side of things "At least I didn't turn out like THAT". Neither are particularly healthy.

I am totally guilty of comparing myself to others, either thinking I'm above them or beating myself up for being below them. And I've grasped the concept that it's not about the other person. It's about me. We did not need to match the lives of those around us, we need to be happy with where we are right now. Because unhappiness is what leads to the vicious cycle of nasty comparison.

This is something I've said before but I will say it again and again: each of us are here on this earth for a very unique reason. Everybody has a story. Respect yourself and respect others around you by living your life by living honestly and staying true to yourself. And when good things happen to people around you, instead of comparing, be happy for them.

To help myself remember to chill out when I begin comparing myself to others, I've written a little mantra:


It doesn't matter. I am me, and I am where I need to be. I am loved by God and do not need to compare myself to _________.

Totally switching gears here, but I am ecstatic to announce that Dave and Katie, two of my community members from my year with Mercy Volunteer Corps, are returning to Detroit. Soon. July 16th. I cannot wait to welcome them back to the city where they first fell in love, the city that they call home.

Let's have a pact to have a great, positive week and to stop comparing ourselves to others. <3


2 comments:

Anonymous said... Add Reply

Now that was written from the right quandrant!Beyond comparison!! u know who!

Anonymous said... Add Reply

Woooooooooooooo Detroit!
-Dave and Katie