Monday, November 1, 2010

My American Idol

“Cheer up, don’t be afraid. For the Lord your God has arrived to live among you. He is a mighty Savior. He will give you victory. He will rejoice over you in great gladness; he will love you and not accuse you.” Is that a joyous choir I hear? No, it is the Lord himself exulting over you in happy song.” — Zephaniah 3:16–18 TLB

I've always believed that God speaks to me through music. Yes, He is always surprising me by speaking to me in the strangest of circumstances, but most often it is through music. When I am most lonely, most afraid, all I have to do is turn on the radio or load up my ipod and sure enough there will be a song that speaks to my heart. Sometimes I'll even just find myself randomly thinking of lyrics...like the time I was on a silent retreat, focusing on what was coming next in my life. I was so full of questions, so confused. A little phrase came into mind.. "there will be an answer, let it be". I was so impressed that God knows me so well that He used one of my favorite songs to deliver His message.

The idea of God singing for me is overwhelming- in the best way possible. It makes me think of all my concert experiences, and how giddy I get if the lead singer just happens to look my way while singing a great tune. Now I sit here and imagine God singing a song all about me, for only me, and it is truly beautiful. I believe that God's song for me is one that fills me with peace and joy and reminds me that I am loved. If God was on American Idol, I'd totally vote for Him :) I am so grateful to have my very own song sung by God.

Are you listening? Take a step back. You don't want to miss what He is saying to you.

No comments: