Tuesday, August 10, 2010

If I had $500,000, I'd buy you a smartboard.

On my first day of working at Detroit Cristo Rey as a Mercy Volunteer, I asked a group of freshmen what made them choose that school. Each of them had a unique response, but the one that hit me the hardest came from a student named Jamie, who said "I will be the first person to graduate from my family. I want Cristo Rey to be the school that make that possible." That's when I knew I was in the right spot.

What would you do with $500,000? That's not something we think about often, and our typical response is "pay off all my bills, give it to family in need, give to charity".

I know a school that could really use $500,000. I also know that right now, you can help make that happen. The school? Detroit Cristo Rey High School. Kohl's Cares is giving $500,000 to twenty schools. Cristo Rey needs your help to be one of those twenty. This faith-based high school is located in the heart of Southwest Detroit and serves low economy families. The school needs all the help it can get to provide resources for these well deserving students. It is currently funded by a work study program. By granting us $500,000 we would be able to provide more technology for the students as well as opportunites for field trips, additions to the curriciulum, and more resources in the athletic and art department. I know many people are hesitant to donate to a charity or an organization that they know nothing about. So, you can take my word for it, and trust that Cristo Rey is an amazing school that is changing the lives of Detroit teens, or you can continue to learn about it by visiting our website:

http://www.detroitcristorey.org/

Or by listening to Jasmine, a junior at the school.




Please help us out by adding a facebook application and voting for us.

http://apps.facebook.com/KohlsCares/school/1459211/detroit-cristo-rey-high-school?src=SchoolBitly

No comments: