Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Weight Loss Wednesday: Pressure

Hello, Pals!

Thank you to all who posted words of encouragement in regards to my last post. I am trying to decide if I should indeed search for a new doctor. To be continued!

The good news is that I got my blood work back via the online "portal" that most offices use now a days and it all came back great. Now, for whatever reason, when I went to go back in, I can't look at the results again. I'll have to call and get that figured out, but when I first studied it, everything was great.

For the past three weeks, I've been pushing myself incredibly hard. I've crushed my "calories burned" goal each week, put in 1-2 hours of workouts every day, and pushed myself to go faster, harder, and stronger. I wanted the scale to move faster.

The scale did drop- I dropped a few lbs and am down 119.4 lbs. But along with that, I also injured myself.

Okay, I totally know that a "pulled calf muscle" does not seem like a serious injury, but trust me, it hurt. I am pretty sure it happened in my interval class on Saturday morning. I did a whole lot of jumping jacks and prisoner squats in that class, putting a lot of pressure on my lower legs.

So, I have had to rest the last few days. I've had to elevate the leg, ice it, compress it, eat plenty of bananas, etc. I was doing everything I could to get the cramp out. Instead of intense workouts I have been doing gentle yoga. Even walking has been difficult.

It was simply another roadblock on this journey. It also brought on anxiety that I would gain a lb or two since my activity level is significantly lower. But I had to slap myself and say "dude, it's okay". The reality is, I very well may gain a lb or two. But that's okay. Not one of you have given me a deadline. None of you are pushing me to hurry up and reach my goal. I am putting all this intense pressure on MYSELF. And maybe my body wanted to shut me up for a second, take a little bit of a rest. And maybe I need to listen.

We are each our own biggest critics. Wouldn't it be nice if we were our own biggest fans? Certainly we can't live in a world where we think we are perfect all the time, that could get ugly. There needs to be a balance. We need to cheer ourselves on as we would a dear friend. 

So, Megan, I know you're bummed that you are missing kickboxing this week and I know you're being extra careful with your diet, but I want you to know that no matter what the scale says, you are a rockstar. You've come so far! You'll get back into it when your body is ready and you'll keep pushing. Be kind to yourself and rest knowing that you are a wonderful, strong, fit human. Love, Mega 


No comments: