Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Top 10 Albums of 2014

It's that time of year again! Let the countdowns and the "best of" lists begin! I will start by sharing my 10 Favorite Albums released in 2014.


10. Phillip Phillips, Behind The Light
You probably know who Phillip Phillips is even if you think you don't know who he is. His songs are played in a couple commercials. He's a singer/songwriter who won his season of American Idol. I actually wasn't a fan of Phillip on the show (#teamjoshledet) but his post Idol music is pretty great.

Unpack Your Heart
"Your sorrow, your beauty, your war...I want it all, I want it all"

Raging Fire
"If you listen close, you'll hear the sound/Of all the ghosts that bring us down/Hold on to what makes you feel/Don't let go, it's what makes you real

Trigger
"Then I turned to see it was too late to give you love/But it was too late to give you up"

9. Christina Perri, Head or Heart
In my opinion, Christina Perri was one of the most underrated artists out there right now. She writes beautiful songs and has a killer voice. You may know her songs "Jar of Hearts" or "Human". The girl can belt, and this album is fantastic.

Human
I can take so much/'Til I've had enough/'Cause I'm only human

Burning Gold
I’m setting fire to the life that I know/Let's start a fire everywhere that we go

Believe
 I believe that the darkness reminds us where light can be
8. The Fray, Helios
I've always loved, and probably will always love, The Fray. While I can admit that a lot of their songs sound similar to one another, I still dig what they do. Solid good music.

Hurricane
The sun is rising, the rain is falling /I wanna give you all that's left of me /I will run. I will run into the hurricane!

Wherever This Goes (Fun fact: This song is in the running to one day be my wedding song)
Baby, you are the song that’s written on my heart/Wherever we stand, wherever we fall/It don’t matter at all, cause I will be forever yours/From this moment till the day the curtains close/Wherever this goes!

Hold My Hand
Hold my hand/I can hear the ghost calling.

7. Lady Antebellum, 747
I mean, does Lady A really need an introduction? If you're not already on board, I'm not sure what you're waiting for.

Bartender
Wanna get a little lost/In the noise, in the lights

Damn You Seventeen
Well, I want to call/But I bet your number's changed a couple times/A couple towns ago, but I can't let you go

One Great Mystery
Don't know what happens when we leave this world/But I know I'll go right on loving you girl
6. Jason Mraz, YES!
Jason's music is amongst the first that I turn to when I need comfort. I fell in love with his voice when I was 16 and I'll never look back! Catchy, original and wise, his music is perfect.

Love Someone
Love is a funny thing/Whenever I give it, it comes back to me

Quiet
Heartbeats rise, heartbeats fall/Will you be my constant through it all?

Best Friend
Thank you for choosing us/Thank you for all you’re about/Thank you for lifting me up/Thank you for keeping me grounded/And being here now
5. Jessie J, Sweet Talker
Are you a fan of pop music that can make you dance AND of amazing, strong voices? Then you need to listen to Jessie J. This album makes me feel powerful. I listened to it 24/7 when I was getting ready for my events in October and I seriously felt like I could do anything while I was listening to it. Listen when you need a pick me up. Even her ballads will bring out the best in you.

Personal
No I'm not a liar/Just don't know how to tell you the truth

Masterpiece
And I, I wanna hang with the greats/Got a way to go, but it's worth the wait/No, you haven't seen the best of me/I'm still working on my masterpiece

Loud
Don't think, just speak/You hate me when I'm up/You love me when I'm down
4. Nick Thomas, Shadowars
I like to think of Nick Thomas as my first love. He was the first male artist that made me stop in my tracks. That was back when he was the lead singer of The Spill Canvas. The band split a few years ago, and this year Nick released his solo project Shadowwars. Naturally, I love it.

Honest
Oh, I am enamored at the very ground beneath your feet/I’d be so incomplete without you and your deceit.

Ghost Towns
I misplaced my hope, I left it in the foreign alleyways I roam/I care so much more than she knows.

From The Ruins
I’ll be your bravery when you’re too afraid to be.

3. Johnnyswim, Diamonds
So, I had no idea who the indie folk pop duo was until my friend Melinda Doolittle tweeted about their album release. Curious and always interested in new music, I hopped over to Spotify to listen- I became obsessed. I listened to this album more times than I can count. It's fresh, it's fun, it's powerful. Two great voices, amazing songs. It also really turned me on to the whole "pop folk" genre. I typically listen to that type of music now. So thanks Melinda, and thanks Johnnyswim. Also, be careful if you're around me when I'm listening to this album, because I tend to slam my hands on the desk or punch a wall because it gets me so happy that I can't control myself. Oh- and it was really hard for me to pick just three songs. Sure sign of a great album.

Over
And I cant keep on giving you what might be meant for someone new/Wake me up the dream I had is over

A Million Years
In a million years tell me will they hear about us dear/Will any of these sparks we light catch a flame and burn through time

Take The World
Cause they can write stories/They can sing songs/But they don’t make fairy tales/Sweeter than ours

2. X, Ed Sheeran
Much like Lady A, I hope you all get on the Ed Sheeran train. I've been a passenger since 2011 and let me tell you, my ears have been happier ever since. Ed Sheeran is brilliant. He's a writer, a performer, a producer and a musician. What he does with his songs, both studio and live versions, is unlike any other artist out there. So get on board.

Photograph
You can fit me/Inside the necklace you got when you were sixteen/Next to your heartbeat where I should be/Keep it deep within your soul

Don't
It's not like we were both on tour/We were staying on the same fucking hotel floor

Thinking Out Loud 
And I'm thinking 'bout how people fall in love in mysterious ways/Maybe just the touch of a hand/Well, me—I fall in love with you every single day


1. 1989, Taylor Swift
Taylor's had her best year ever, my friends. She made the official switch over to pop music and is taking the charts-and my heart-by storm. Basically, she's grown up. I could go and and on about how much I adore Taylor and how proud I am that she's finally happy just being herself, but that could take all night. Let's just say, Sassy Swift is here to stay and I love it. 

Blank Space
Cause darling I'm a nightmare dressed like a daydream

You Are In Love
One night he wakes, strange look on his face/Pauses, then says, you're my best friend/And you knew what it was, he is in love

I Know Places 
Loose lips sink ships all the damn time/Not this time 


What were your favorite albums released this year? Share in the comments!


No comments: