Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Destroying Obstacles

Today we got news that my dad has a new tumor growing on his lungs and that one of the older tumors is growing. What that means is that the medication he was on to control the tumor growth, Tarceva, is beginning to lose it's effect. 

This was not exactly the news we wanted to get a week before Christmas. It's not the news anyone wants to get.

It felt like a big punch in the gut, especially after everything he and we have already been through. It's not fair.

So I shed a few tears, steered clear of emotional eating, and told myself to keep the faith.

But sometimes, things like "keep the faith" and "stay positive" are easy to say but near impossible to execute. This is one of those times. But that's not due to lack of trying. Trust me, I'm trying.

For the past four of five weeks I've been battling a weight loss plateau. I've been bouncing back and forth between 88-90 lbs lost. It's been frustrating and almost led me to give up.

Today, when I got the news about my dad, it have me further fuel to not give up. My dad is going to need me. He'll have to have chemo treatments now and that may cause him to be sick and and weak at times. I have to be my strongest and best self not only for me, but for him. So my dad will be my biggest motivation. I may need to up the intensity of my workouts, and I'm not sure if I'll have time for much else, but I will do this. Just like my dad will beat cancer, I will beat this plateau and I will reach my weight loss goal. I will destroy the obstacles and my dad will destroy the tumors. 

How's that for positivity?

1 comment:

Shari said... Add Reply

I am sending so much love to you and your family. Hang in there and be kind to yourself -- it's okay to be upset and to let it show. I have faith that you and your dad will both continue to fight -- and destroy those obstacles for good.

<3