Monday, January 27, 2014

Love Yourself

This is for guys and gals of all ages:


Love yourself.


Usually, this type of campaign is aimed toward teenage girls. And, of course, I agree. Teenage girls need to love themselves and value their worth. But so do the rest of us. I know grown men who do not love themselves enough to take care of themselves and their well being. I know elderly men and women who think their life was not relevant, that they did not accomplish a single thing in their life.


Those things are just not true.


All of us have accomplished something. It may not be huge, but in the grand scheme of things, that doesn't really matter. Each of us have done something in our life to be proud of. Sometimes it just takes a little digging to find it.


I wince when I hear people say that they aren't good at anything. Yes, you are. Do not compare yourself to those around you. I know people my age who make triple the salary that I do and own homes and fancy cars- that's not my life, and it may never be my life. But that doesn't mean I am not a good person, or that I haven't accomplished anything.


If you are someone who struggles with loving yourself, do me a favor. Each night, before you go to sleep, write down one accomplishment from that day. If it's "took my vitamins"- AWESOME. If it's "Went to the gym"- AWESOME. If it's "Made someone smile"- AWESOME. These are all GREAT things that you did. Be proud!


I have written on this topic hundreds of times before. But it's worth repeating: You were uniquely made. You are meant to be in this world. You are important. Your existence makes a difference. Be proud of the person you are.


Beautiful things happen when you learn to love yourself. Your fists begin to unclench and your hands begin to open, to grab onto new opportunities. Your heart will follow- it will open, and you will begin to love life and love others, and to let love inside that heart. But it all starts in your mind. You must wake up each morning and say "I woke up for a reason. It's my duty to find out what that reason is". Go about your day with eyes of wonder, looking for positivity and love along the way. I won't lie, bad things may happen. You may have a really, horrible day. But do not let that define you. Don't let that force you back into your hole. Stop, think, and act in a way that will bring about a positive change.


You don't need me to tell you that you're beautiful (even though you are). You need to tell yourself that you're beautiful. When you rely on others to tell you how awesome you are, you enter danger zone. Your happiness and self worth does not come from others- it comes from you. So embrace yourself just as you would a friend in need, and take care of yourself.


Sending each of you bundles of love.



No comments: